Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Godot Engine Is Now Open-Source

Default The Godot Engine Is Now Open-Source

Phoronix: The Godot Engine Is Now Open-Source

Last month Phoronix was the first to share about an in-house game engine that's powered several multi-platform games would be going completely open-source. The game engine, Godot, is now publicly available under an MIT license...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU5OTM

Thank you to the folks at Okam Studio for their generous contribution to the game development community. I downloaded it, and the demo files, last night; everything seems to run quite well. I didn't get to mess around in the editor yet though as I went to bed after trying out the demos. I'm starting to go through the tutorials now though, so I might have more to say on that side of things in a few hours.

Flappy Birds 2.0, here I come!

So does this mean that we can expect graphically more demanding open source games? Best I can think of in that department are Xonotic, 0 A.D., and The Dark Mod.

I really don't think that the Godot engine is somehow superior than for example the Unvanquished engine. What we really need to make better FOSS games are artists, story writers, etc..

P.S.
    http://www.godotengine.org/ is down
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Godot engine was GLES2, targeted for mobile. So in its current state no, it won't make crysis graphics.

I don't think FOSS games have some future.
    Games and animation are visions from artists.
    We don't see artists making FOSS animations (except some baked from FOSS softwares, and for studies purposes).
    If people mess with FOSS games, it starting to become a different game.
    These FOSS games are about progressing the engine. Not making a game.

However... It's great to see an easy to use and great engine for Linux. Now we don't need unity or other shit engine that doesn't have any version for Linux. And if they make one, we reject!

Not sure what you are talking about (or trolling about ), but the entire creative commons and remixing movement is basically FOSS for artists. An yes people are working on FOSS animations too.

This godot engine could be nice as it tightly integrated with a development environment/editor, which is something most other FOSS engines are severly missing and which is one of the reasons why there is less high quality art in FOSS games.

Yes, having good and accessible development tools is definitely a good thing. And since they're also open-source, they can be improved further.

Very interesting. I just downloaded and built it, and the interface looks very clean and nice. Not sure how to do much in it yet, but this is definitely something I will be screwing around with.