Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Wine On Android Is Making Progress, Running Solitaire

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,474

    Default Wine On Android Is Making Progress, Running Solitaire

    Phoronix: Wine On Android Is Making Progress, Running Solitaire

    Last year was the last time we had a chance to talk about Wine on Android for running Windows programs on Google's mobile operating system. While it's not quite mainline yet, Wine on Android has been making much progress and can now run Windows' Solitaire game on your Android device...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU5ODU

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Outthere, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    231

    Default

    It's a wonder WINE doesn't just build their own OS they're doing so much work.

    Oh wait, ReactOS is doing that already!

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stiiixy View Post
    It's a wonder WINE doesn't just build their own OS they're doing so much work.

    Oh wait, ReactOS is doing that already!
    ReactOS uses WINE for the their userland and the higher-level platform libraries. They just replace the Win32-to-POSIX translation layer with an actual re-implementation of the lower-level libraries.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    103

    Default perhaps QEMU would help too to install GNU paclkages "a la CROUTON"

    Android uses Linux kernel but almost all GNU packages cannot be used
    If QEMU works well in Android, to play with wine, it will also play with actual desktop GNU packages.

    Perhaps we can use future 64bit ARM Androids with 8Gb of RAM and 128 Gb tiny SDDs with QEMU emulating GNU/Linux or any other OS with VGA pass through and good performance for old desktop games perhaps a Pocket SteamOS machine or even a native Pocket SteamOS - debian based - phone

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Outthere, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ssokolow View Post
    ReactOS uses WINE for the their userland and the higher-level platform libraries. They just replace the Win32-to-POSIX translation layer with an actual re-implementation of the lower-level libraries.
    Yeah, I know. Hence my remark =D

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stiiixy View Post
    It's a wonder WINE doesn't just build their own OS they're doing so much work.

    Oh wait, ReactOS is doing that already!
    Because the purpose of the Wine project is to add the capability to run win32 applications to other operating systems. ReactOS is intended to be a drop-in replacement for Windows.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default ???

    what the point of this? android? forget android

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitcoes View Post
    Perhaps we can use future 64bit ARM Androids with 8Gb of RAM and 128 Gb tiny SDDs with QEMU emulating GNU/Linux or any other OS with VGA pass through and good performance for old desktop games perhaps a Pocket SteamOS machine or even a native Pocket SteamOS - debian based - phone
    The problem with running old games on Android is not so much the emulation, as the controls. I have a port of Carmageddon on my Transformer, and it's vastly more difficult to play with a touch screen than a keyboard.

  9. #9

    Default

    Wine run in a half assed Java in an emulator?


  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    Wine run in a half assed Java in an emulator?
    And the 2nd video.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •