No announcement yet.

Time For Feedback On A New Phoronix Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I the only one who doesn't like the new design?

A few things I don't like:
    • The colors don't fit.
    • Elements have not enough negative space.
    • Bad choice of font types, colors and sizes.
    • Text padding and spacing.

Comment

It would be really nice if your site used some HTML for the content.
      Like bold, italic, list, tables, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
        Design seem fine to me, but prefer the current color scheme.
        ditto, new one is at best ugly. old one was making phoronix recognizable on spot

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          For those liking the green theme....

Thoughts on that revision?
          the ?pink? is disturbing. and old phoronix never was bad in the 1st place, if anything it was very distinguishable from any other site. new theme... is more or less like any other site out there

Comment

I'm with Daktyl in that I don't see much change at all except the width, is this just a css replacement?

If you are really designing new at least go with responsive web design and simplify. I know you love your ads, but they can't be 50% of the content you see on a mobile screen.

Comment

My suggestions

Hi Michael.

I'm not an expert in websites design. For me both old and new schema is fine.

What I'd really like to see is:

1. A [previous] / [next] article button at the end of each article (placed near the current comment count). I don't want to go back to my RSS-reader every time, in order to find out which contents are still to be read.

2. A proper mobile site, or at least something that it's not a pain in the a$$ while browsed on a smartphone.

3. Activate Tapatalk plugin to your forum. It's free and easy to do. Tapatalk is the de-facto standard for smartphone access to forums.

Thank you and keep up the good work

Comment

+1 on article content area being too wide and more difficult to read (the current width is great!)

Comment

Originally posted by gerddie View Post
                  Like said before, the design seems fine, but I also prefer the old colour scheme.
                  +1
                  Green is easy on the eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    For those liking the green theme....

Thoughts on that revision?
                    Personally, I like the green a little darker. As others have said, the color scheme makes phoronix immediately recognizable. It's not just the fact that its green but the shade of green.

As for people saying there's too much green.... well... you'll never satisfy everyone. There is no perfect color scheme or layout - there will always be someone to complain. And on many tech-based websites, complaints are a lot more frequent and harsh than you find elsewhere.

Comment

Hi Michael,

Please don't take the following critic personal! It's meant to be helpful and constructive.
                      The proposed layout (both blue and green) are simple functional layouts. They don't look better or worse then the current layout online.
                      All layouts look very simplistic/basic and it shows that you're just not a designer. You're a writer and a programmer and should stick with that.

I'd suggest to make a contest. Let your visitors design a layout in exchange for a premium membership.
                      If that fails, you can still go for your newly designed blue layout. Blue because it will be experienced as new and fresh. The green one will probably give an impression like "huh, did something change?".

Cheers,
                      Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X