Time For Feedback On A New Phoronix Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alazar View Post
    Two columns nowadays is ugly - I don't pretend to be selfish but, I really prefer my mockup http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...n-for-the-site

@

Hey Michael... +1 for this design o_O Hows it look to you?
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I do not mind the new look as long as you don't change the layout. New content belongs on top and should push old content down as it comes in. Articles should remain easy to read. All the standard, common sense stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeroedout View Post
        I've said it once and I'll say it again, responsive design please! it's the wave of the future! Done correctly, the site looks great on any screen resolution; elements shift and move as the window size changes. Another benefit is when / if 4k is adopted, all you do is plug in rules for that resolution and your site looks beautiful on those devices as well. No one size fits all approach works anymore (and zooming on mobile is horrid). HTML5 and CSS3 are built to be responsive.

Also please keep your unique color scheme, just make the layout look good on all resolutions.
        I'll second this. The aesthetics don't really matter to me (though I think that changing the colours will diminish the branding), but the please don't make it fixed width. The current design is an annoyance on 1280x1024, to say nothing of 1080p.

Comment

It still looks too much like Metro. You do not want it to look like Metro.

I recommend a slightly darker base green, and some variance in the bottom bar. Either a gradient or a subtle pattern.

Comment

Oh and please no ALL CAPS titles. That too brings Visual Studio 2012 / metro into mind, not an association you want to make.

Comment

Originally posted by leif81 View Post
              As a long time reader, I'll be honest, both the current and the new design are functional, but far from winning a beauty contest

Michael, have you considered using Bootstrap (http://getbootstrap.com)? It seems you enjoy working with minimal raw HTML layouts and know the basic ins and outs of CSS -- Bootstrap is perfect for that. Within the first hour you'll have included the Bootstrap js and css and gotten the basic styling for free and begin to see what the fuss is about. By the second hour you'll feel like the worlds best designer even though all you've done is leveraged the small yet amazing collection of styles and components. By hour four you'll be tweeting about how Phoronix has a responsive layout for desktop/mobile with practically no fuss. Answering why Bootstrap github repo has some ~64,000 stars and ~23,000 forks will be easy.
              FWIW, bootstrap works really badly in some minority browsers.

Comment

Originally posted by rdnetto View Post
                I'll second this. The aesthetics don't really matter to me (though I think that changing the colours will diminish the branding), but the please don't make it fixed width. The current design is an annoyance on 1280x1024, to say nothing of 1080p.
                Most people seem to prefer fixed width sites so the lines don't become too wide. Right now there's a max-width set of 1500px. (min-width for non-premium users would be somewhere around 1200px given the current elements).
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Oh and please no ALL CAPS titles. That too brings Visual Studio 2012 / metro into mind, not an association you want to make.
                  The site has nothing to do with Metro or any inspirations from there. The caps title and some other stuff was from last year's design - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQwMzk
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Zajec View Post
                    The main content column seems to be a bit too wide.
                    When text is too wide it's hard for human eye to track lines. You finish reading line #1 and it's hard to find beginning of line #2, because eyes can't track the whole width.
                    Agreed, and the font itself seems too big. The new logo looks too bland compared to the old one.

Comment

just pls make the font smaller. im getting eyecancer..
                      it looks like gnome3 with default big icons and stuper huge font. waste of screen space!

Comment

Working...
                      X