Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time For Feedback On A New Phoronix Design

Default Time For Feedback On A New Phoronix Design

Phoronix: Time For Feedback On A New Phoronix Design

Last summer we were working towards a new version of our in-house content management system and a brand new site layout developed by a German Phoronix reader. Due to mixed reactions that proposed layout wasn't launched, but work has been underway on a new version of Phoronix.com...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU5ODE

Hey Michael, the one picture has article text going at (looks like) double the length per line of the current layout... How does that play with mobile browsers? Speaking personally a web page with very long text lines that I have to keep scrolling back and forth from to read one paragraph is the quickest way for me to NOT go back to that site on my phone, which cuts into your ad revenue

EDIT: Why get rid of the traditional phoronix green? I like the smaller header bar up top, but any specific reason to drop the green? Or did you just feel like changing things up?

Design seem fine to me, but prefer the current color scheme.

The main content column seems to be a bit too wide.

When text is too wide it's hard for human eye to track lines. You finish reading line #1 and it's hard to find beginning of line #2, because eyes can't track the whole width.

Like said before, the design seems fine, but I also prefer the old colour scheme.

This looks like change for the sake of change. What exactly is wrong with the old design? Why another website with a generic blue look? And seriously, now the ads in the header are larger than the Phoronix logo?

If you decide to go for the new design please provide an option to use the old one instead, this new one is not what I would use.
    Last edited by Vim_User; 02-09-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iniudan View Post
    Design seem fine to me, but prefer the current color scheme.
    +1 (stupid character limit)
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

This isn't a new design. It's the same design with a new CSS.

Quote Originally Posted by Zajec View Post
    The main content column seems to be a bit too wide.

When text is too wide it's hard for human eye to track lines. You finish reading line #1 and it's hard to find beginning of line #2, because eyes can't track the whole width.
    +1 The size of the main content now is perfect, on the screenshots it doesn't look really good.

I think the new design looks great, especially the better use of the blank margins that used to be at the sides. I was initially shocked to see the 'phoronix green' disappear, but the new colour scheme looks very unique and distinctive. The more I look at it, the more I prefer the blue and beige look (and particularly the new typeface, you should keep that even if you go back to the old colour scheme).