It Looks Like Systemd Will Win The Debian Init Battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
    I believe they'll do it sooner or later.
    The question is WHAT will they do? At this point it is estranged enough to call it Ubuntu/Linux. Whats their future? To be the dominant Linux Distribution? How can this be while there is no other of its kind?
    Ubuntu <-------------> all the "normal" GNU/Linux Distributions

It will not take that much time until SteamOS is the favorite Linux in Valve's statistics. Whats the most popular Linux then?
    I tried it several times and i don't like Unity. The Store is unattractive due to Ubuntu restriction. Ubuntu One is not under my control.
    It's highly unattractive for me and i strongly believe there are more people like me ...
    It's the wrong way.
    @Canonical: Open up and cooperate - finally.

Comment

Canonical's fault

This is Canonical's own fault.

The outcome might have looked different if Upstart wasn't under CLA.

Comment

"These kind of political questions are always very sensitive and you have to be aware, when you're talking to an employee, that their financial self-interest may conflict with their interest in giving an honest opinion. " -- Ian Jackson (Canonical employee)

I'd just say that, this is probably exactly what we're seeing here with Ian's behavior. This guy even talked about the fact that he might not be able to give an honest opinion in his about page. They let him vote because he is a technical expert, but I'm not so sure it was such a great idea.. But I guess in the end it didn't really matter.
        Last edited by Sidicas; 09 February 2014, 04:53 PM.

Comment

He hoped that T vs L discussion would end up with realizing that neither is practical with systemd as default and so upstart would have been chosen as default, as it is potentially portable to other platforms. Chairman (and probably others) realized correctly that T vs. L discussion anyway has sense only if systemd is default. As they don't want to go for an inferior system just because of a few difficulties for other kernels, they decided to vote on a default init. This was a a right decision, instead of a deadlock that was currently happening. The Ubuntu-staged circus was defeated.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
            Look at this ballot that Ian is demanding..

Talk about trying to screw it up the whole process as much as he can. If I saw a ballot like that, I'd be confused enough to delay my vote too!
            He should tie it together with what everyone will have for dinner the day after the vote. I don't find it quite confusing enough.

Comment

At last, a decision is taken, and it's the best decision IMHO.

I'm curious about Linux Mint now: will they finally make LMDE the first choice (following the future SteamOS success) or will they continue as nothing happened?

Comment

Although I don't use Debian, I'm pretty happy to see that the Canonical infiltrates have lost. This is excellent news, and a big strike to the evil empire.

Comment

I don't even understand why Ian cares enough about this that a losing vote turns him into an emotional wreck. I've read the posts where he argued pro upstart, but... "it might someday be ported to bsd" and "that one systemd guy is a doodiehead" weren't really convincing technical arguments to begin with.

Ian isn't a canonical employee any more, he isn't an upstart contributor, and he didn't manage to put forth any convincing technical arguments. What are his real reasons for personally being fanatically pro-upstart?

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                    I don't even understand why Ian cares enough about this that a losing vote turns him into an emotional wreck. I've read the posts where he argued pro upstart, but... "it might someday be ported to bsd" and "that one systemd guy is a doodiehead" weren't really convincing technical arguments to begin with.

Ian isn't a canonical employee any more, he isn't an upstart contributor, and he didn't manage to put forth any convincing technical arguments. What are his real reasons for personally being fanatically pro-upstart?
                    I know it sounds completely wild, but I would guess he's trying to become a Canonical employee again and having a "I got Debian to use upstart" under his belt would go a long way?

Honestly, I was very shocked and disappointed by his behavior.
                    Last edited by Sidicas; 09 February 2014, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      No. If they were trying to delay anything, they simply wouldn't vote. They have a week to vote each time, and if all votes are not in, the vote isn't concluded. Every time everything was clear just in a couple of days.
                      Nope, they only require 2 votes for a quorum. As long as 2 people vote, the vote would be concluded.

Comment

Working...
                      X