Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autovala: Auto-Generating CMake Files For Vala Code

Phoronix: Autovala: Auto-Generating CMake Files For Vala Code

For those tired of manually making CMake files for your software's build system, Autovala is a new project developed by a Phoronix reader that seeks to automate the process of generating CMake scripts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

CMake (and vala) sucks

Comment

Originally posted by Annabel View Post
      CMake (and vala) sucks
      CMake sucks if you already know autotools (also known as autohell), but if you don't then CMake is great and autotools suck, it's like wayland vs Xorg, and no, it's not apple and oranges - it's an analogy.

Vala sucks not because it sucks but because it's "by Gnome for Gnome", like Gtk, other platforms are supported as an afterthought or not at all.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        CMake sucks if you already know autotools (also known as autohell), but if you don't then CMake is great and autotools suck
        Both sucks (but I find autohell better and more difficult to use).

Vala sucks not because it sucks but because it's "by Gnome for Gnome", like Gtk, other platforms are supported as an afterthought or not at all.
        a) vala sucks because it sucks
        b) vala sucks because it's a ugly rippoff of C#
        c) vala sucks because it's ENTERPRICE QUALITY
        d) vala sucks because the only compiler it has can compile only to unportable C using the low quality glib
        e) vala sucks because it's "by Gnome for Gnome" (as you said)

Comment

Originally posted by Annabel View Post
          Both sucks (but I find autohell better and more difficult to use).

a) vala sucks because it sucks
          b) vala sucks because it's a ugly rippoff of C#
          c) vala sucks because it's ENTERPRICE QUALITY
          d) vala sucks because the only compiler it has can compile only to unportable C using the low quality glib
          e) vala sucks because it's "by Gnome for Gnome" (as you said)
          No, I tried to learn autohell hard and gave up when I had to code in bash and learn m4 (and other ridiculous shit) - which is part of doing autohell - which is obviously stupid, because autohell is really just a collection of random solutions put together in typical wacky GNU style from the '80s, it's a dinosaur like emacs. Autohell is exactly the design of a project that one should avoid doing.

I think you mean "enterprise" not "enterprice".

Comment

a title

CMake sucks if you already know autotools (also known as autohell), but if you don't then CMake is great and autotools suck, it's like wayland vs Xorg, and no, it's not apple and oranges - it's an analogy.
            I know both, did autotools first and I'd say both serve their purpose, but creating a project by using cmake is usually way easier.

Regarding the article, I doubt that another tool on top of cmake can really be that helpful. CMake provides the means to write macros, and with these repetitive tasks can be reduced significantly.

Comment

Heh, so basically something like
              Code:
              qmake -project
              for cmake, but a bit more restricted. Sounds very convenient.

Comment

Being able to automatically make packages and compiler scripts from an IDE interface with project information from the ide project files would save a lot of developers a lot of time.

With a press of a button and an cross-ide interface/api.

Comment

Working...
                X