Thread: Autovala: Auto-Generating CMake Files For Vala Code

Default Autovala: Auto-Generating CMake Files For Vala Code

Phoronix: Autovala: Auto-Generating CMake Files For Vala Code

For those tired of manually making CMake files for your software's build system, Autovala is a new project developed by a Phoronix reader that seeks to automate the process of generating CMake scripts...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU5Nzg

CMake (and vala) sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Annabel View Post
    CMake (and vala) sucks
    CMake sucks if you already know autotools (also known as autohell), but if you don't then CMake is great and autotools suck, it's like wayland vs Xorg, and no, it's not apple and oranges - it's an analogy.

Vala sucks not because it sucks but because it's "by Gnome for Gnome", like Gtk, other platforms are supported as an afterthought or not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    CMake sucks if you already know autotools (also known as autohell), but if you don't then CMake is great and autotools suck
    Both sucks (but I find autohell better and more difficult to use).

Vala sucks not because it sucks but because it's "by Gnome for Gnome", like Gtk, other platforms are supported as an afterthought or not at all.
    a) vala sucks because it sucks
    b) vala sucks because it's a ugly rippoff of C#
    c) vala sucks because it's ENTERPRICE QUALITY
    d) vala sucks because the only compiler it has can compile only to unportable C using the low quality glib
    e) vala sucks because it's "by Gnome for Gnome" (as you said)

Quote Originally Posted by Annabel View Post
    Both sucks (but I find autohell better and more difficult to use).

a) vala sucks because it sucks
    b) vala sucks because it's a ugly rippoff of C#
    c) vala sucks because it's ENTERPRICE QUALITY
    d) vala sucks because the only compiler it has can compile only to unportable C using the low quality glib
    e) vala sucks because it's "by Gnome for Gnome" (as you said)
    No, I tried to learn autohell hard and gave up when I had to code in bash and learn m4 (and other ridiculous shit) - which is part of doing autohell - which is obviously stupid, because autohell is really just a collection of random solutions put together in typical wacky GNU style from the '80s, it's a dinosaur like emacs. Autohell is exactly the design of a project that one should avoid doing.

I think you mean "enterprise" not "enterprice".

Default a title

CMake sucks if you already know autotools (also known as autohell), but if you don't then CMake is great and autotools suck, it's like wayland vs Xorg, and no, it's not apple and oranges - it's an analogy.
    I know both, did autotools first and I'd say both serve their purpose, but creating a project by using cmake is usually way easier.

Regarding the article, I doubt that another tool on top of cmake can really be that helpful. CMake provides the means to write macros, and with these repetitive tasks can be reduced significantly.

Heh, so basically something like
    Code:
    qmake -project
    for cmake, but a bit more restricted. Sounds very convenient.

Being able to automatically make packages and compiler scripts from an IDE interface with project information from the ide project files would save a lot of developers a lot of time.

With a press of a button and an cross-ide interface/api.