Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reiser4 File-System Now Works For Linux 3.13 Kernel

Phoronix: Reiser4 File-System Now Works For Linux 3.13 Kernel

For the devout fans of the Reiser4 file-system, the latest out-of-tree patches are now available so this open-source FS works on the Linux 3.13 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Reiser4 rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
      Reiser4 rocks!
      Absolutely! It kills the competition

Comment

I remember back then there was a kernel patch that named the filesystem murderfs...

Comment

I don't even remeber how long ago I used Reiser4 ... must be at least 5 years now. It'd be interesting how it compares to current filesystems like btrfs, ext 4, zfs or xfs (I always mingle those two up).
          Other than that ... it doesn't seem to make much sense to keep it around for other purposes than accessing old data. And I can't imagine many people still use it.

Comment

Phoronix already had a file system comparison with Reiser 4 and it showed that it was better than btrfs and very close to ext4.

I'd like to see a Tux3 vs Reiser4 vs NTFS vs HPS+ (I think that's the mac one) vs Ext4 vs Btrfs vs Fat32 vs exFAT vs ZFS? and other ones sitting around and such.
            Eh, maybe it's a little overkill.

Oh, and I'd want them tested on some RAM, SSD, and a HDD
            9 x 3 = 27. That's 27 tests that I'm not sure someone would want to do, especially if there's no noticable improvements stated for any of them. (except for tux3)

But I would like to see how the future replacements perform against each other above all.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
              Absolutely! It kills the competition
              I can't tell if this is supposed to be pun done in poor (hilarious) taste

Comment

Reiser4 was very interesting when it came out

But that was a long time ago. I don't think it really has any compelling arguments vs ext4 and btrfs anymore. It's probably time to just let it die peacefully, now.

Comment

I remember the days when a university student could just surprise the world with some code and that was good enough. Now if it's not backed by a "vendor" (i.e. Red Hat) then it's dangerous crapola.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
                    I remember the days when a university student could just surprise the world with some code and that was good enough. Now if it's not backed by a "vendor" (i.e. Red Hat) then it's dangerous crapola.
                    But you know that Reiser4 was backed by a vendor (namely Namesys but also by DARPA and Linspire) ? The problem is that Hans Reiser went to jail and as a result of this his company Namesys died. AFAIK the people still working on Reiser4 are ex Namesys employees. Anyway, all this has nothing to do with university student vs. vendor, Linus vs. Hans or whatever you wanted to tell us.

Comment

Working...
                    X