No announcement yet.

A Look At The New Firefox UI On Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Daktyl198;395853]The 3-line menu button was around before Chrome/ium/Android... These days, it's turning into the standard "menu" icon *shrug*/QUOTE]

Could you give an example? I'm genuinely curious about that, because I got familiar with Android just recently, and one of the staples of its UI seems to be the three dot menu (though I don't really see why it would be three dots, I'd expect a gear icon or something).

Comment

The three dots to me just mean "more..." without the "more". Plus rotation by 90 degrees of course.

Comment

Originally posted by edgar_wibeau View Post
        The three dots to me just mean "more..." without the "more". Plus rotation by 90 degrees of course.
        But the rotation doesn't make sense. Buttons are square, so it doesn't take up less space or anything.

Comment

I just told you what it means to me

Edit: when I write "more...", the dots point towards what would come afterwards, which is on the right side, thus horizontal. In Android (and elsewhere) the menu is vertical, so vertcal dots make some sense to me. But maybe, that's too much of a construction. It's just that somehow it makes sense to me and this is the first time I try to understand why.
          Last edited by edgar_wibeau; 08 February 2014, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Are there any substantial performance improvements?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Could you give an example?
              Twitter Bootstrap and jQuery Mobile both use it for responsive navigation menus on small screens.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
                Twitter Bootstrap and jQuery Mobile both use it for responsive navigation menus on small screens.
                But those are for small mobile screens. Did they really appear before Android?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  But those are for small mobile screens. Did they really appear before Android?
                  I don't know about Android. I was mostly referring to Chrome, though as an example of something that might have had it before as I can't be certain. Chrome predates both, but it did not have this icon originally. I'm not sure where this symbol originates from, but it seems to be nearly universally accepted as indicating a menu despite being completely abstract. I suppose it's no worse than a gear. I can see how a wrench might indicate configuration/tweaking, but a gear?
                  Last edited by randomizer; 09 February 2014, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
                    I'm not sure where this symbol originates from, but it seems to be nearly universally accepted as indicating a menu despite being completely abstract. I suppose it's no worse than a gear.
                    It's hardly abstract... it's a picture of a dropdown menu, a series of parallel lines representing menu items.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                      It's hardly abstract... it's a picture of a dropdown menu, a series of parallel lines representing menu items.
                      I was just about to explain this, thank you.
                      As for the 3 dot icon, it's just the 3-line icons shortened width-wise *shrug*

To everybody wondering about interface-related plugins, most are probably not affected, but some will definitely have to be changed as this changes the interface's XUL itself, requiring plugins that focus on specifically named elements to change to meet the new names.
                      For example, the tabs-on-the-side plugin that was shown might not have to change at all to work with Australis as it probably just targets "tab elements" and repositions them, and AFAIK the tab elements didn't get renamed in the interface change, just restyled.

For those wondering about the GTK+3 port, they just sorted out the flash-requires-GTK+2 problem: http://firefoxnightly.tumblr.com/pos...y-support-gtk3
                      Link to bug: http://bugzil.la/624422

Comment

Working...
                      X