No announcement yet.

A Look At The New Firefox UI On Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know if this will be compatible with old extensions? I really don't want the tab bar at the top - I currently use an extension that puts tabs on the left side. I seriously don't understand why that isn't done more often - we have waaay too much wasted horizontal space 1080p screens or higher, and vertical space is more useful for browsing a web page. On my laptop I run chrome, but the screen width is 1366 which IMO the absolute maximum resolution until you have wasted horizontal space.

Comment

I can't even tell what changed.

Comment

Originally posted by wpoely86 View Post
        Are you sure these aren't screenshots from chrome?
        No, it's the same UI that Thunderbird has had for ages. Stop with the Chrome thing.

Comment

Very similar to what I already use extensions and XUL userstyles to achieve. All I need is Classic Theme Restorer to bring back the addon bar and a real Firefox menu (as opposed to a word-wrapped toolbar in a panel) once the PPA pushes it to me.

Of course, given how many UI tweaks I've installed to achieve things every other browser (including Chrome) and native application has (like scroll wheel tab-switching and a tab bar that shrinks before it scrolls), here's hoping that they're either easy to update or no longer necessary. I don't want to have to chase Firefox 28 to Beta, Stable, and then ESR while looking for ways to port them over to 29.

Comment

Originally posted by etam View Post
            I only hope that Tree Style Tab will work with the new UI.
            Really, I know how you feel. I don't care about the new style, hopefully it will have negligable effects to how my browser looks. But I am really worried about how much this new UI will break. There's a lot of good functionality and customization that I intend on keeping, or I'll have to wait for a non-australis fork to appear.

Comment

Originally posted by Bathroom Humor View Post
              Really, I know how you feel. I don't care about the new style, hopefully it will have negligable effects to how my browser looks. But I am really worried about how much this new UI will break. There's a lot of good functionality and customization that I intend on keeping, or I'll have to wait for a non-australis fork to appear.
              I don't think you'll have to wait for any fork, you'll probably have to wait until the extension's maintainer catches up. If there's something I've learned with Firefox, is that for every change they do, there is an extension to revert it.

Comment

Chromox

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                  With the buttons on the right side, I assume the sidebars are on the right side too (would kinda make sense from ui pov: mouse travel and focus)?
                  Mozilla doesn’t care about usability, unfortunately. The only thing they want to do is clone Chrome and make Firefox users feel miserable.

Comment

The only thing i don't like in the new interface are the new bookmark icon that has The star and the bookmarks in the same button... It could be better to have the old separate buttons in the customize panel alongside with the new all in one button that way you can chose whatever you want to use.

The non-interface customize related addons seems to work fine, the only problem could be some web plugins that could stop working if the web uses plugin enumeration that is not allowed anymore to increase privacy (There's only a few webs that uses this anyway).

In case someone hit this problem you could still use the plugin in a web that uses enumeration making the plugin visible to enumeration inserting the plugin name in about:config -> plugins.enumerable_names

There's news about gtk3?

Comment

Originally posted by etam View Post
                      I only hope that Tree Style Tab will work with the new UI.
                      Have you ever used it with multiple screens?
                      It felt very buggy which is a bit sad as I really liked the concept.

Comment

Working...
                      X