Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA 334.16 Beta Supports 64-bit EGL / OpenGL ES

Quote Originally Posted by computerquip View Post
    Its my understanding that the proprietary drivers implement their own KMS. What is required exactly from in-kernel KMS that the binary blob doesn't do?
    haven't really gone that deep
    it's a different API afaik from the kernels KMS

Quote Originally Posted by gens View Post
    Wayland doesn't depend on KMS. That's a popular myth.

I wondered in the past few days when they'd release a new beta driver. It's clear that they are working to get their drivers ready for Wayland and Mir with EGL. What will be interesting is if they implement XWayland support. From what I know the xf86-video-* DDXs all have their own XWayland patches so the closed drivers would need them aswell I guess. It would probably not be that hard for NVIDIA but, when there isn't even a version of Xwayland that is shipping with X.Org. I think they will only start working towards that once X11 1.16 ships with XWayland hopefully.

There seems to be a patch for 3.13 support.

https://projects.archlinux.org/svnto...s/nvidia-304xx
    https://projects.archlinux.org/svnto...ackages/nvidia

Arch Linux has it built into the driver packages in [testing] which holds the 3.13 kernel.
    Last edited by blackout23; 02-07-2014 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    Wayland doesn't depend on KMS. That's a popular myth.

I wondered in the past few days when they'd release a new beta driver. It's clear that they are working to get their drivers ready for Wayland and Mir with EGL. What will be interesting is if they implement XWayland support. From what I know the xf86-video-* DDXs all have their own XWayland patches so the closed drivers would need them aswell I guess. It would probably not be that hard for NVIDIA but, when there isn't even a version of Xwayland that is shipping with X.Org. I think they will only start working towards that once X11 1.16 ships with XWayland hopefully.

There seems to be a patch for 3.13 support.
    mmm
    good to know

if that patch breaks with multiple graphics card people can try
    https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...fset=2#4114295

Added 64-bit EGL and OpenGL ES libraries to 64-bit driver prackages
    What is a prackage? A prank package?

Quote Originally Posted by gens View Post
    And KMS isn't needed for anything as long as the driver provides its own mechanism. As has been said mainy times before, the lack of KMS is a moot point in the NVidia driver.

Quote Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
    And KMS isn't needed for anything as long as the driver provides its own mechanism. As has been said mainy times before, the lack of KMS is a moot point in the NVidia driver.
    also a couple posts up

Quote Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
    It's needed for a KMS console framebuffer. Also, the kernel can display error messages when it panics even if you're in X11. Without KMS, all you see is a frozen X11 screen. You'll never see the kernel error message.

Windows has the BSOD for this purpose. Linux has KMS for this.
    Last edited by RealNC; 02-08-2014 at 04:19 AM.

KMS is also needed for a clean, graphical, flicker-free boot. NVIDIA still has large smudgy VESA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobu View Post
    KMS is also needed for a clean, graphical, flicker-free boot. NVIDIA still has large smudgy VESA characters.
    Nope that's another popular myth. It's because of fbcon.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Also, the kernel can display error messages when it panics even if you're in X11. Without KMS, all you see is a frozen X11 screen. You'll never see the kernel error message.

Windows has the BSOD for this purpose. Linux has KMS for this.
    No, Linux has the drm panic notifier for this. There's no reason why Nvidia couldn't have their own panic notifier in their driver that simply switches away from X, as the drm panic notifier does. So again, KMS is not a requirement, it's just one possible way to implement something.