Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Init System: Sinit - The Suckless Init System

Phoronix: Another Init System: Sinit - The Suckless Init System

While in-fighting continues within the Debian camp over what should be the default init system in Debian, a developer has shown off his own tiny "sinit" init system project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nitpick.

The Suckless Init System was shared with Debian developers but obviously isn't a serious contender in Debian's init system battle, but it's mentioned mentioned in case anyone is after a small Linux distribution project to checkout (Morpheus) or are looking for a very simple init system in comparison to systemd or Upstart.
    Why would one like to get rid of busybox? Coreutils is bloated compared to bb.
    Last edited by Rexilion; 07 February 2014, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
      Who said he would be moving to coreutils?

Comment

obligatory xkcd

Comment

Originally posted by YoungManKlaus View Post
          You jumped the shark

Comment

I don't see myself ever using this, but a lot of the other Suckless tools are really quite nice. I'm sure this'll be very useful to people wo don't need a bells-and-whistles init system once it's done.

Comment

Here's the GNU one:

Here's some (dated?) discussions:

I haven't tried it myself so I can't really comment much. But unlike sinit, it does seem to be at (or almost at) feature parity with Upstart and systemd.

p.s. I wasn't about to mention it since (1) I'm no Guile fan and (2) I don't think it's relevant to the Debian discussion. But if Michael is doing it...

Comment

This Suckless init system looks very good. I'm sick of bloated programs I don't need an init system that is everything but the kitchen sink, I just need to boot the f***ing computer. Simplicity is what we really need. Simplicity!

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
                  Nitpick.

The idea is probably to make a pure suckless.org OS, which would mean using sbase and ubase rather than coreutils.

For compilers, I think GNU binutils + gcc will stay for a while, but there was some interesting mention of the "ucc" compiler on the suckless.org mailing list some time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
                    The idea is probably to make a pure suckless.org OS, which would mean using sbase and ubase rather than coreutils.

For compilers, I think GNU binutils + gcc will stay for a while, but there was some interesting mention of the "ucc" compiler on the suckless.org mailing list some time ago.
                    i think they just want good tools more then having a higher goal
                    stali will benefit from them ofc

Comment

Working...
                    X