Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Init System: Sinit - The Suckless Init System

Default Another Init System: Sinit - The Suckless Init System

Phoronix: Another Init System: Sinit - The Suckless Init System

While in-fighting continues within the Debian camp over what should be the default init system in Debian, a developer has shown off his own tiny "sinit" init system project...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU5NTI

Nitpick.

The Suckless Init System was shared with Debian developers but obviously isn't a serious contender in Debian's init system battle, but it's mentioned mentioned in case anyone is after a small Linux distribution project to checkout (Morpheus) or are looking for a very simple init system in comparison to systemd or Upstart.
    Why would one like to get rid of busybox? Coreutils is bloated compared to bb.
    Last edited by Rexilion; 02-07-2014 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexilion View Post
    Who said he would be moving to coreutils?

Default obligatory xkcd

Quote Originally Posted by YoungManKlaus View Post
    You jumped the shark

I don't see myself ever using this, but a lot of the other Suckless tools are really quite nice. I'm sure this'll be very useful to people wo don't need a bells-and-whistles init system once it's done.

Here's the GNU one:
    https://www.gnu.org/software/dmd/

Here's some (dated?) discussions:
    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/g.../msg00000.html

I haven't tried it myself so I can't really comment much. But unlike sinit, it does seem to be at (or almost at) feature parity with Upstart and systemd.

p.s. I wasn't about to mention it since (1) I'm no Guile fan and (2) I don't think it's relevant to the Debian discussion. But if Michael is doing it...

This Suckless init system looks very good. I'm sick of bloated programs I don't need an init system that is everything but the kitchen sink, I just need to boot the f***ing computer. Simplicity is what we really need. Simplicity!

Quote Originally Posted by Rexilion View Post
    Nitpick.

The idea is probably to make a pure suckless.org OS, which would mean using sbase and ubase rather than coreutils.

For compilers, I think GNU binutils + gcc will stay for a while, but there was some interesting mention of the "ucc" compiler on the suckless.org mailing list some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by staalmannen View Post
    The idea is probably to make a pure suckless.org OS, which would mean using sbase and ubase rather than coreutils.

For compilers, I think GNU binutils + gcc will stay for a while, but there was some interesting mention of the "ucc" compiler on the suckless.org mailing list some time ago.
    i think they just want good tools more then having a higher goal
    stali will benefit from them ofc