Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Round Of Debian Systemd vs. Upstart Voting Ends

Phoronix: Latest Round Of Debian Systemd vs. Upstart Voting Ends

The latest round of voting by the Debian technical committee is now complete on deciding the future default init system of the open-source operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish they would just pick one, and move on. What ever it is, live with the decision and plan on how to proceed. If they go with either upstart or systemd, then they need to get cracking on porting efforts for thier freebsd and hurd branch, so the choice of either involves a ton of work, so just decide and start coding. Even a poor decision(hindsight is 20 20) is better than no decision.

Comment

Debian is the new congress. In case of fire they wouldn't be able to pass the water act.

Comment

Well that was anti-climatic

I'm at least happy that they aren't willing to do a split second decision on this. That was the major reason why. Besides, the longer they wait the more likely it is that they'll switch to systemd.

Comment

To me the vote should be pretty simple. Go with what everyone else is using. As far as I know, only Ubuntu and it's derivatives are using upstart, and everyone else is moving toward systemd (with few exceptions like Gentoo, which as far as I have read in this discussion may be switching as well, though more likely just providing the option of it rather than using it as a default).

Though Debian using systemd would mean even a bigger fork for Ubuntu from Debian, but it's not like Ubuntu hasn't already done that.

Comment

I think they should do systemd. Most (not all) of the reasons against it are irrelevant, such as compatibility with free-BSD. free-BSD already has enough broken compatibility with linux so there isn't much of a loss.

Comment

I hope not the next round (third round) but the round after that (fourth round) doesn't include "Further Discussion" as an option. Let them yell and bicker and fight all they want for now and after the next round, but after that they need to suck it up and pick something. Some people aren't gonna be happy-- OH WELL. You get that outcome in ANY choice, you CANT make everyone happy.

Personally my vote would go to systemd, but if they pick upstart then good for them. The point is: a decision needs to be made and they need to just move forward. Sometimes its not about option A or option B, sometimes its just about not standing still and actually doing something.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

thats a pretty sad result.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
                  To me the vote should be pretty simple. Go with what everyone else is using. As far as I know, only Ubuntu and it's derivatives are using upstart, and everyone else is moving toward systemd (with few exceptions like Gentoo, which as far as I have read in this discussion may be switching as well, though more likely just providing the option of it rather than using it as a default).

Though Debian using systemd would mean even a bigger fork for Ubuntu from Debian, but it's not like Ubuntu hasn't already done that.

ubuntu, gentoo and slackware wont move to systemd
                  so "everyone else" use init + sysv/upstart/openrc
                  (with majority of people using upstart)

ofc linuxcounter is not that precise
                  you can check steam hw_survey that shows ubuntu having way more users then "other linux"
                  or distrowatch for popularity that shows ubuntu+mint dominating

the reason to switch to anything has to have nothing to do with what everyone else is doing
                  they are planing their own future

(also, most servers on teh internets run either debian or ubuntu)

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
                    As far as I know, only Ubuntu and it's derivatives are using upstart, and everyone else is moving toward systemd (with few exceptions like Gentoo, which as far as I have read in this discussion may be switching as well, though more likely just providing the option of it rather than using it as a default).
                    ChromeOS/ChromiumOS also uses upstart AFAIK, and there are some embeded linux OS'es (custom "distros" as used in certain devices) that use it too.

Comment

Working...
                    X