Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User Features Coming To GNOME 3.11.5

Phoronix: User Features Coming To GNOME 3.11.5

GNOME 3.11.5 is anticipated for release later today and with it will come new user-facing features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Help!

What things should I know before I ride the Anti-Gnome3 hate train?

Though the try-exec thing is pretty cool. One thing I missed from windows. A pain to launch incognito from the launchers. I resorted to using super secret keybinds. Is there anyway to that in dock apps? Are these available in other desktop panels like xfce-panels?

Comment

Gnome sucks, read and learn!

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
        what an extremly scaring article. i very like the basic concept of the gnome shell but it thought the regression of features and the api changes were a temporal issue due to restructuring from old gnome.

but the quotes i read from the gnome devs (if they are true) indeed sound like a windows devs invasion. .... he has no idea what XFCE is... goddamit!

this makes me really... no i really mean REALLY sad!

Comment

GNOME 3 has become a very good piece of software. If I was amazed by the 3.0 release, just imagine how I would have reacted if 3.10 was the first official release- the amount of improvement is exceptional.

Even if it's not your kind of desktop environment, you have to admit that GNOME 3 is a great achievement for the GNOME community. They had a vision of how GNOME could become relevant again, and competitive with modern commercial systems, and they took a few good risks based on sound design principles. Over only a few years, most of that vision has come to pass aside from the apps, but those are quickly filling out.

Although the differences are a bit drastic for seasoned desktop veterans, new users have a much better experience and get things done much more easily than with traditional Linux desktop experiences. GNOME and elementary are the only two projects that have successfully wooed any of my friends or family in the long-term. They want to use Linux- no need to convince anyone on technical or philsophical terms anymore.

When GNOME 3 came into its own, I went from being told to stop using Linux to being asked to set up computers to dual-boot it. Even if you think GNOME 3 is unusable, which would be quite a leap, you have to admit that the social impact of the project has been a significant win. Same with elementary- although it is a bit more traditional in window management, it is very bold and uncompromising with making applications feel cohesive and immediately useful.

I think we need to measure the usefulness and meaning of these kinds of improvements with a more holistic mindset to understand the motivations of the people working on these projects. Even though some (very few) of the designers and developer evangelists behind GNOME are employed by Red Hat, that money does not discount the psychological impact of the vitriol they have received from Linux users. You may say it's simply a fact of life that the tech industry is under that kind of irrational scrutiny, but that's a pretty shallow justification for the impact it has on people personally. I hope we can support everything that improves the lives of others, especially when we have such freedom to use whatever environment we like on Linux.
          Last edited by scionicspectre; 06 February 2014, 02:44 PM.

Comment

The truth

Originally posted by a user View Post
            but the quotes i read from the gnome devs (if they are true) indeed sound like a windows devs invasion.
            Gnome is mostly owned by RedHat now. It used to be very good in the old Gnome 2 days and I enjoyed using it, but now it's just a piece of crap. I switched from Ubuntu to Debian to Gentoo in 2009 and 2012 respectively, after Ubuntu released the first previews of Gnome 2.
            It was a relief and I'm glad to have switched, given I learned a lot in the last few years.

Ubuntu/Gnome/... are just projects to subjugate the user into a dependent service/customer-model.

The worst thing about it is the fact these guys are responsible for GTK. They could mess up the entire Linux-desktop by choosing to develop GTK+ more in a way they now have been going with Gnome 3 for almost 5 years now.

It's not about developing free software for a common cause, no, it's just for making big bucks at the cost of flexibility, security and sanity, ultimately controlling the user and keeping him ignorant while ignoring his needs in the development-process (cf. touchscreen-compatibility).
            That's what makes me really sad.
            Last edited by frign; 06 February 2014, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Is MATE good? I wonder if they just made their own Gnome3 Debian OS. Would that serve their goals better?

Comment

Originally posted by lelele View Post
                Is MATE good? I wonder if they just made their own Gnome3 Debian OS. Would that serve their goals better?
                MATE is working right now on GTK3 compatibility. They're not switching to GTK3 but are trying to be ready for Wayland.

Comment

Oh no, theming keeps breaking when stuff changes. Whatever shall I do? the world is ending...

Comment

That's an insanely biased article which is based on taking the most apparently damaging words the author can find as far out of context as possible. Hardly a reliable resource.

Comment

Working...
                    X