Horrible Tearing With Radeon HD 5750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible Tearing With Radeon HD 5750

I just installed the latest Fedora (XFCE spin) and have horrible tearing when I move windows over the screen or when I browse the internet with Firefox or Google Chrome.
    My configuration :
    • Fedora 20 XFCE Spin
    • Kernel is 3.12.9
    • My Graphic Card is Radeon HD 5750 (with Open Source drivers)

I didn't configure anything special and don't use any compositing system.

I noticed some 3D applications (like blender) don't have any tearing issues. I know it's a VSync related problem but don't know what to do...

Any help would be appreciated

Try enabling OpenGL compositing with vsync.

I have a HD 5650 Mobility and there's absolutely no tearing and almost everything in my KDE desktop is mighty fluid.

Comment

What could also help is setting the correct display as the primary one with xrandr:

Code:
      xrandr --output DVI-0 --primary
      you obviously have to replace DVI-0 with the correct one for your setup.

Comment

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately
        Code:
        xrandr --output DVI-0 --primary
        doesn't change anything.

I searched for an OpenGL compositing for Fedora 20 but the only one I found in my repositories was Compiz and I would really want to avoid it.

A lot of people seem to use Compton but I couldn't find any package for Fedora 20

BTW, I just noticed that Google Chrome seems to have almost no tearing (maybe because it uses OpenGL to render content ?)
        Last edited by quincampoix; 06 February 2014, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Actually Google Chrome has some flickering/tearing, but it's not as visible as with Firefox.

Comment

You need to enable the composition in the configuration of xfce, but better is use the privative drivers and enable tearing free in catalyst control center.

Comment

I have the free drivers (built myself from git) and have no tearing with 1 monitor in opengl or hardware accelerated rendering/playback (vdpau). Make sure you have everything installed as it should. NO xorg.conf is needed.

Browser related:

Chrome is ABSOLUTELY CRAP right now (i use the latest git mesa and all). For some older versions i could force to use opengl acceleration for playback and webgl and was working fine, but newer versions have horribly high CPU usage. Maybe its related to some recent mesa changes?

Firefox/Seamonkey on the other hand perform very well, especially after i enabled the layer acceleration.

Originally posted by felipe View Post
              You need to enable the composition in the configuration of xfce, but better is use the privative drivers and enable tearing free in catalyst control center.
              Well that feature does prevent tearing, but it also reduces the playback fps visibly sometimes. Not to mention you cannot use vdpau playback which is tear-free and lightweight (the "tear free" option eats additional video memory).

Comment

It has to be OpenGL compositing for vsync support. I'm not sure if xfce supports GL compositing.

Comment

When I enable compositing in xfce control panel, I still have tearing! And I do not want to use proprietary drivers.

I have to use Chrome to have the lastest version of Flash player (which is unfortunately still used a lot on the web )

Originally posted by gradinaruvasile
                  I have the free drivers (built myself from git) and have no tearing with 1 monitor in opengl or hardware accelerated rendering/playback (vdpau)
                  I don't have tearing in opengl or hardware accelerated rendering either! I only have tearing on windows and web browsers. Flash videos do not have tearing BUT HTML 5 videos in firefox HAVE tearing!

Comment

When I enable compositing in xfce control panel, I still have tearing! And I do not want to use proprietary drivers.

I have to use Chrome to have the lastest version of Flash player (which is unfortunately still used a lot on the web )

Originally posted by gradinaruvasile
                    I have the free drivers (built myself from git) and have no tearing with 1 monitor in opengl or hardware accelerated rendering/playback (vdpau)
                    I don't have tearing in opengl or hardware accelerated rendering either! I only have tearing on windows and web browsers. Flash videos do not have tearing BUT HTML 5 videos in firefox HAVE tearing!

Comment

Working...
                    X