ReactOS 0.3.16 Starts A SHELL32 Rewrite, New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
    Because it should theoretically achieve the same performance, while being FOSS ?
    "Theoretically" is a wonderful word. But when it comes to software development, it tends to have little resemblance to reality...

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
      Why wen use Linux and not an original UNIX? I Like the Idea about FOSS and a FOSS Windows would be awesome. You has all the benefits from Windows and the benefits that which brings FOSS.

I hope that they finish the NT Kernel in the Next time. Currently the pnp and memory management are coustom code.
      I thinks its because of the culture that disseminate about GPL. other unix didnt use gpl. its bad to contribute to something that someone maybe will use or sell without your permission or contribution.

what benefits windows have? until now it only play games. maybe this will change in the future.

its a open world. you want a FOSS windows? ok. but i think that will be better if all the efforts turn to bring the linux or hurd the most advanced system in the world.

Comment

For anyone who hasn't seen it, "Why ReactOS?" @ 7:19-10:46

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
          I hope much as possible goes back to Wine
          Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I don't really care much for ReactOS, but I hope they contribute a lot back up to Wine.
          They contribute as much as it's useful for WINE, but they mostly focus in the pieces WINE lacks (and not only lacks, but doesn't need) because of having a different aim. In WINE, most low level features are actually wrappers for the other OSes features. They mostly share user land applications and the Win32 API, and they do contribute back in those areas if they find bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by busukxuan View Post
            Indeed, many great feats are done by first aiming at the unachievable, though the original aims are often never reached, the effort often produced things that mean a lot. Thomas Edison had set off to invent an electrical light source, his greatest success was an incandescent lightbulb that had only a short lifetime, but it has also set a basis for the bulbs we use today which can last for years.

Btw they have gone far enough that compatibility with windows isn't hopeless anymore, I still think they will lag behind the contemporary window by nearly a decade when they finally become compatible, but who knows, their team has impressed people and any beyond our expectation a few times already. So let's hope for the best
            Thomas Edison was the Steve Jobs of his time -- invented nothing, stole everything -- just a marketing man, really. The lightbulb was invented by Joseph Swan.

Comment

Originally posted by amagnoni View Post
              what benefits windows have? until now it only play games.
              <><

Originally posted by amagnoni View Post
              its a open world. you want a FOSS windows? ok. but i think that will be better if all the efforts turn to bring the linux or hurd the most advanced system in the world.
              Why? Linux is like hurd only a kernel. these times the kernel is one of the rar thinks that has no problem with the effort. Windows is a hole platform where tons of software, drivers, now how exists. A simple kontextmenue entry is not a problem on windows, on the current GNU/Linux Distributions you has first to look that file managers they use and if you can do it. As Example look at the horrible dropbox integration. even in nautlilus the integration is bad and they come with dropbox.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                Besides, why not just use Windows instead of ReactOS?
                Possibly because some people want or even need Windows, but don't want all the NSA spying?

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                  Thomas Edison was the Steve Jobs of his time -- invented nothing, stole everything -- just a marketing man, really. The lightbulb was invented by Joseph Swan.
                  Yea, I heard that like 2 years ago, and I was surprised that I was misinformed for so many years. Anyway the real first bulb burnt out in seconds AFAIK. The point is to not look down on people with goals that are "impossible"

And btw, Edison really did improve Swan's invention, didn't he?
                  And Steve Jobs really did have quite a few innovations (but IMHO definitely NOT iPhone)
                  about him being a marketing man, that's so true! I bet we all heard of the "We don't need a camera" and "Now, we have a camera" joke

Comment

Working...
                  X