Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReactOS 0.3.16 Starts A SHELL32 Rewrite, New Features

Phoronix: ReactOS 0.3.16 Starts A SHELL32 Rewrite, New Features

ReactOS, the open-source operating system project aspiring for Windows API compatibility and binary compatibility with Windows drivers and applications, is out with a new release after nearly one year of development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't $120K with 2 weeks left a bit too much?

Besides, why not just use Windows instead of ReactOS? I don't see myself running Photoshop in it... Not even a Creative Cloud...

(Yes, there's always GIMP but I'm talking about professional applications. Think AutoCAD and Microsoft Office. Some may work in WINE but some may not.)

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
      Besides, why not just use Windows instead of ReactOS? I don't see myself running Photoshop in it... Not even a Creative Cloud...
      Because it should theoretically achieve the same performance, while being FOSS ?

Comment

Isn't $120K with 2 weeks left a bit too much?

(Yes, there's always GIMP but I'm talking about professional applications. Think AutoCAD and Microsoft Office. Some may work in WINE but some may not.)
        Exactly to be able to run AutoCAD or Photoshop. Recently they found out trunk is able to run Photoshop and Office 2003, BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
          Exactly to be able to run AutoCAD or Photoshop. Recently they found out trunk is able to run Photoshop and Office 2003, BTW.
          It's all commendable but hardly practical. Home user is more likely to switch to Linux than to ReactOS. (After all if you're unsatisfied with Windows why would you migrate to a Windows wannabe OS?) And enterprise is choke full of legacy software relying on legacy APIs or undocumented features so ReactOS would have to be a carbon copy of Windows, a perfect drop-in replacement. I doubt that it's an achievable goal.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
            It's all commendable but hardly practical. Home user is more likely to switch to Linux than to ReactOS. (After all if you're unsatisfied with Windows why would you migrate to a Windows wannabe OS?)
            While it's true they are more likely to switch to Linux (in part because it's not advisable to use an alpha quality OS), being unsatisfied with Windows might be due to different reasons, and not necessarily disliking the base concepts of it, or the APIs. The applications are a big point for Windows, and ReactOS aims to be compatible there. Also, one might dislike Windows for being closed source alone, or dislike the new path it's taking (the whole forcing Metro they seem to be trying to make, for example). ReactOS focus is right now in Windows 2003, and although this may change (and I think they will eventually aim at Windows 7, when they are more mature), I highly doubt they will go on and try to implement Metro.

And enterprise is choke full of legacy software relying on legacy APIs or undocumented features so ReactOS would have to be a carbon copy of Windows, a perfect drop-in replacement. I doubt that it's an achievable goal.
            Maybe it is unachievable, but that's what they aim to do.

Comment

Besides, why not just use Windows instead of ReactOS?
              Why wen use Linux and not an original UNIX? I Like the Idea about FOSS and a FOSS Windows would be awesome. You has all the benefits from Windows and the benefits that which brings FOSS.

I hope that they finish the NT Kernel in the Next time. Currently the pnp and memory management are coustom code.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                Maybe it is unachievable, but that's what they aim to do.
                Indeed, many great feats are done by first aiming at the unachievable, though the original aims are often never reached, the effort often produced things that mean a lot. Thomas Edison had set off to invent an electrical light source, his greatest success was an incandescent lightbulb that had only a short lifetime, but it has also set a basis for the bulbs we use today which can last for years.

Btw they have gone far enough that compatibility with windows isn't hopeless anymore, I still think they will lag behind the contemporary window by nearly a decade when they finally become compatible, but who knows, their team has impressed people and any beyond our expectation a few times already. So let's hope for the best

Comment

I don't really care much for ReactOS, but I hope they contribute a lot back up to Wine.

Comment

I hope much as possible goes back to Wine

Comment

Working...
                    X