Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLAMOR Acceleration For A Faster Xephyr

Phoronix: GLAMOR Acceleration For A Faster Xephyr

The work by Intel developer Eric Anholt for accelerating the Xephyr X.Org nested server with GLAMOR has been posted to the X.Org developers' mailing list for review...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is actually REALLY cool, and extremely useful. This might be an easy way to do screen rotation on some ARM platforms. xephyr's performance has always been pretty shoddy due to the lack of 2D acceleration.

Comment

Indeed. Personally I ran into Xephyr for making some Wine games work correctly ? some of them require 16-bit colours and don't run if it's set to anything else, and Xephyr allows setting that in a virtual window instead of messing up your entire desktop.

Comment

I just realized this but xephyr over "ssh -X" is an interesting alternative to VNC. Not sure if I would consider it a good or effective idea though.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I just realized this but xephyr over "ssh -X" is an interesting alternative to VNC. Not sure if I would consider it a good or effective idea though.
          Why would you do that? It's one additional layer compared to running your app directly.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Why would you do that? It's one additional layer compared to running your app directly.
            Like I said, maybe not a good idea, just an interesting thought. I guess the one significant bonus of it is being able to view another computer without granting that user control and without them needing another 3rd party application. As long as your system supports X over SSH, that's all you need. Not sure when a situation like this would be necessary though.

Comment

Working...
            X