Thread: GLAMOR Acceleration For A Faster Xephyr

Default GLAMOR Acceleration For A Faster Xephyr

Phoronix: GLAMOR Acceleration For A Faster Xephyr

The work by Intel developer Eric Anholt for accelerating the Xephyr X.Org nested server with GLAMOR has been posted to the X.Org developers' mailing list for review...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU5NDE

This is actually REALLY cool, and extremely useful. This might be an easy way to do screen rotation on some ARM platforms. xephyr's performance has always been pretty shoddy due to the lack of 2D acceleration.

Indeed. Personally I ran into Xephyr for making some Wine games work correctly some of them require 16-bit colours and don't run if it's set to anything else, and Xephyr allows setting that in a virtual window instead of messing up your entire desktop.

I just realized this but xephyr over "ssh -X" is an interesting alternative to VNC. Not sure if I would consider it a good or effective idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I just realized this but xephyr over "ssh -X" is an interesting alternative to VNC. Not sure if I would consider it a good or effective idea though.
    Why would you do that? It's one additional layer compared to running your app directly.

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Why would you do that? It's one additional layer compared to running your app directly.
    Like I said, maybe not a good idea, just an interesting thought. I guess the one significant bonus of it is being able to view another computer without granting that user control and without them needing another 3rd party application. As long as your system supports X over SSH, that's all you need. Not sure when a situation like this would be necessary though.