Thread: MINIX 3 Successfully Ported To ARM

Default MINIX 3 Successfully Ported To ARM

Phoronix: MINIX 3 Successfully Ported To ARM

The MINIX 3 operating system has been successfully ported to ARM and is starting to be supported by some ARM development boards...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU5MzY

I'm surprised this wasn't done sooner, and even more surprised that it was ported to beagleboard before Raspberry Pi. Minix is pretty limited and largely used for educational purposes (just like the Pi) so it would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I'm surprised this wasn't done sooner, and even more surprised that it was ported to beagleboard before Raspberry Pi. Minix is pretty limited and largely used for educational purposes (just like the Pi) so it would make sense.
    Dude, they only recently completed virtual memory support and shared libs support. Yes, their development speed is amazing. Linus started writing his OS Minix. And now what? Minix only starts to have only some features we're using daily on other OSes.

Quote Originally Posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
    Dude, they only recently completed virtual memory support and shared libs support. Yes, their development speed is amazing. Linus started writing his OS Minix. And now what? Minix only starts to have only some features we're using daily on other OSes.
    lol, definitely it's in better shape than GNU/Hurd is.

Besides MINIX, L5 is the other worked upon microkernel as I understand. I would think that amount of devs working on MINIX is limited. Nonetheless I find it very interesting to have a working proof-of-concept microkernel. I can see it having a nice home on ARM and other embedded platforms for the start.

Quote Originally Posted by BSDude View Post

Besides MINIX, L5 is the other worked upon microkernel as I understand. I would think that amount of devs working on MINIX is limited. Nonetheless I find it very interesting to have a working proof-of-concept microkernel. I can see it having a nice home on ARM and other embedded platforms for the start.
    Microkernels have been used for years, especially in embedded areas, so they are well beyond merely proof of concept. QNX is pretty much the standard AIUI.

Quote Originally Posted by liam View Post
    Microkernels have been used for years, especially in embedded areas, so they are well beyond merely proof of concept. QNX is pretty much the standard AIUI.
    Maybe its not same software but the first versions of QNX is almost 10 years older than Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    MINIX 3 is moving a lot faster now and is even, perhaps, trying to make inroads as a general purpose operating system. They've incorporated a lot of NetBSD's sources, which is logical as NetBSD itself is moving towards a more modular, lighter kernel architecture via RUMP kernels. This surge of interest is what's moving it forward at such a remarkable pace.

Quote Originally Posted by BSDude View Post
    Don't be so sure It's quite possible Hurd actually beats Minix.