Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: MINIX 3 Successfully Ported To ARM

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,403

    Default MINIX 3 Successfully Ported To ARM

    Phoronix: MINIX 3 Successfully Ported To ARM

    The MINIX 3 operating system has been successfully ported to ARM and is starting to be supported by some ARM development boards...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU5MzY

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    I'm surprised this wasn't done sooner, and even more surprised that it was ported to beagleboard before Raspberry Pi. Minix is pretty limited and largely used for educational purposes (just like the Pi) so it would make sense.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I'm surprised this wasn't done sooner, and even more surprised that it was ported to beagleboard before Raspberry Pi. Minix is pretty limited and largely used for educational purposes (just like the Pi) so it would make sense.
    Dude, they only recently completed virtual memory support and shared libs support. Yes, their development speed is amazing. Linus started writing his OS Minix. And now what? Minix only starts to have only some features we're using daily on other OSes.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
    Dude, they only recently completed virtual memory support and shared libs support. Yes, their development speed is amazing. Linus started writing his OS Minix. And now what? Minix only starts to have only some features we're using daily on other OSes.
    lol, definitely it's in better shape than GNU/Hurd is.

    Besides MINIX, L5 is the other worked upon microkernel as I understand. I would think that amount of devs working on MINIX is limited. Nonetheless I find it very interesting to have a working proof-of-concept microkernel. I can see it having a nice home on ARM and other embedded platforms for the start.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BSDude View Post
    lol, definitely it's in better shape than GNU/Hurd is.

    Besides MINIX, L5 is the other worked upon microkernel as I understand. I would think that amount of devs working on MINIX is limited. Nonetheless I find it very interesting to have a working proof-of-concept microkernel. I can see it having a nice home on ARM and other embedded platforms for the start.
    Microkernels have been used for years, especially in embedded areas, so they are well beyond merely proof of concept. QNX is pretty much the standard AIUI.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liam View Post
    Microkernels have been used for years, especially in embedded areas, so they are well beyond merely proof of concept. QNX is pretty much the standard AIUI.
    Maybe its not same software but the first versions of QNX is almost 10 years older than Linux.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I'm surprised this wasn't done sooner, and even more surprised that it was ported to beagleboard before Raspberry Pi. Minix is pretty limited and largely used for educational purposes (just like the Pi) so it would make sense.
    MINIX 3 is moving a lot faster now and is even, perhaps, trying to make inroads as a general purpose operating system. They've incorporated a lot of NetBSD's sources, which is logical as NetBSD itself is moving towards a more modular, lighter kernel architecture via RUMP kernels. This surge of interest is what's moving it forward at such a remarkable pace.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BSDude View Post
    lol, definitely it's in better shape than GNU/Hurd is.
    Don't be so sure It's quite possible Hurd actually beats Minix.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •