Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Works To Empower In-Home Streaming

Phoronix: Valve Works To Empower In-Home Streaming

Another Valve Steam Linux client update this week fixes an audio error within Steam's Big Picture Mode but it mostly focuses upon in-home streaming improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Valve already uses VDPAU on Linux.

The beta has been updated, and we're sending out more beta invites! Please update all clients to the beta version built on February 2, as there has been a protocol change. Fixed Steam client discovery on Windows systems with multiple network interfaces Fixed audio capture on Windows Vista Fixed a crash in multi-threaded D3D10/11 games like Tomb Raider Turned on the Steam overlay for streaming even if it's off in the settings Fixed mouse cursor visibility in the Steam overlay Fixed mouse cursor teleporting...

Don't think they'll add VAAPI since you can use VDPAU with just about anything.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      Valve already uses VDPAU on Linux.

The beta has been updated, and we're sending out more beta invites! Please update all clients to the beta version built on February 2, as there has been a protocol change. Fixed Steam client discovery on Windows systems with multiple network interfaces Fixed audio capture on Windows Vista Fixed a crash in multi-threaded D3D10/11 games like Tomb Raider Turned on the Steam overlay for streaming even if it's off in the settings Fixed mouse cursor visibility in the Steam overlay Fixed mouse cursor teleporting...

Don't think they'll add VAAPI since you can use VDPAU with just about anything.
      I hope they don't, somebody has to clean up this multiple API madness, and since no distro has done so, Valve is certainly up to the task.

Comment

That streaming idea is nonsense. Who's going to run two machines to play one game? Nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
          That streaming idea is nonsense. Who's going to run two machines to play one game? Nobody.
          I would.

Comment

What about the ability to only need ONE powerful Windows machine in the house. It could be headless, with Steam on autostart. You could stream a game, but also a dekstop application, like Photoshop. It introduces so many possibilites. Of course I'd prefer the Steam client to be open source, but this will do for now.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
              What about the ability to only need ONE powerful Windows machine in the house. It could be headless, with Steam on autostart. You could stream a game, but also a dekstop application, like Photoshop. It introduces so many possibilites. Of course I'd prefer the Steam client to be open source, but this will do for now.
              I don't think it can be headless though.

At least not yet.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                I don't think it can be headless though.

At least not yet.
                It can from what I have read in the comments section to the LinuxActionShow episode where they demoed the in Home Streaming. It might vary from game to game and you might have to start it once with a monitor to get a config file written.

Comment

AAAHHHH, now I really need VDPAU for streaming games to my underpowered notebook with RS780. Damn it!!

Comment

It's made to bring steam to the living room. Want to play games on your TV, but your HTPC isn't beefy enough? Just run the game on your workstation in another room and stream it.

Of course YMMV depending on your living arrangements. If you don't have a separate room with a large-screen TV and a comfortable couch, you probably don't need it.

Comment

Working...
                    X