Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 4.12.2 Released Along With Plasma WS 4.11.6

Phoronix: KDE 4.12.2 Released Along With Plasma WS 4.11.6

KDE has shipped their 4.12.2 package updates for February 2014 and it also includes an update to the last-to-be-maintained KDE Workspaces 4.11 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone have any problems with systemtray icons? In my case they have quite different sizes and it looks really ugly.

KDE 4.12.1 looked fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rakot View Post
      Does anyone have any problems with systemtray icons? In my case they have quite different sizes and it looks really ugly.

KDE 4.12.1 looked fine.
      I'm not sure what the lemon and book icons are for but the US flag representing your keyboard layout isn't to hard of a fix:

Right click the flag and click configure. Right under the "Layout" tab you will find at check box that reads "Show Layout Indicator". Uncheck that box. I'm not even sure why that old icon is included as there is a Plasmoid which can be enabled by right clicking the system tray!

Comment

KDE 4.12.1 looked fine.
        Have you tried resizing the panel? Sometimes it puts icons back into shape. Another option would be to remove the system tray widget and add a new one, and see if it fixes it. As a last resort, hide the icons so that they're visible only when expanding them.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
          I'm not sure what the lemon and book icons are for but the US flag representing your keyboard layout isn't to hard of a fix:

Right click the flag and click configure. Right under the "Layout" tab you will find at check box that reads "Show Layout Indicator". Uncheck that box. I'm not even sure why that old icon is included as there is a Plasmoid which can be enabled by right clicking the system tray!
          "Lemon" is just clementine. "Book" is a golden dictionary.

The systemtray's keyboard layout icon is even worse.

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
          Have you tried resizing the panel? Sometimes it puts icons back into shape. Another option would be to remove the system tray widget and add a new one, and see if it fixes it. As a last resort, hide the icons so that they're visible only when expanding them.
          I tried resizing the panel, deleted and inserted systemtray again. I even deleted icon's cashe. Also I tried to remove panel completely and add new one. Nothing helped. This update just broke the appearance of the system tray. That is so silly. There is Qt 5, qml, wayland, KDE 5 and other fancy stuff but in the end stupid system tray looks so ugly...

Comment

"Lemon" is just clementine. "Book" is a golden dictionary.

The systemtray's keyboard layout icon is even worse.

I tried resizing the panel, deleted and inserted systemtray again. I even deleted icon's cashe. Also I tried to remove panel completely and add new one. Nothing helped. This update just broke the appearance of the system tray. That is so silly. There is Qt 5, qml, wayland, KDE 5 and other fancy stuff but in the end stupid system tray looks so ugly...
            So are the small icons smaller or the big icons bigger? Because all the big icons are ones that seem to be using the new notification spec, while the others apparently do not. The old spec limited the size of the icons to a specific size, so there is simply nothing KDE can do to fix that. The new spec has no such limitations, so those icons are free to resize. It looks to me like your panel is just below the height needed to push the tray icons into two rows, hence the problem.

The question is what is different between this release and the last one. Something that would affect icon sizing in the tray or widget sizing in the panel, I would guess.

Comment

Works fine here with KDE 4.12.2 (openSUSE Tumbleweed):

Have you tried with a new user? Maybe a settings problem.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
                Works fine here with KDE 4.12.2 (openSUSE Tumbleweed):

Have you tried with a new user? Maybe a settings problem.
                With default height it looks as yours. However if I increase the height of the panel the icons crawl away. Could you try to resize the panel? By the way, I also use OpenSUSE.
                But before it was fine.

Comment

When I resize the bar the icons stay at the same size and position and if the size gets large enough they reorder into two rows. But the icons themself don't change.

Comment

KDE 4.12.1 looked fine.
                    I have exactly the same problem and it's really ugly!
                    It looks like the bug is related to gtk or whatever "old"-style icons. In my case I've closed dropbox and skype, have resized the tray and it helped. But I need skype and dropbox

Comment

Working...
                    X