Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Videos (Totem) Gets Overhauled

Phoronix: GNOME Videos (Totem) Gets Overhauled

The next-generation version of GNOME Videos is starting to take shape and become usable for GNOME fans. GNOME Videos looks much better than Totem from the GNOME 2.x days...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At last! I'm really liking the changes. Hopefully we'll get a usable release soon.

Comment

All is good except the volume widget: click-popup-adjust-clickAnywhereElseToGetRidOfThePopup has always been a good looking solution, but bad for actual usage, especially when it's a plugin since the plugin might not get the click outside the plugin so to make the volume widget go away you have to click anywhere else yet inside the plugin.

I also dislike this zombie corporate language "The old UI made it particularly hard to consume media..", we're not "consuming" we're watching, really, it's from the same zombie books as the phrase "human resources".
      Last edited by mark45; 05 February 2014, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pseus View Post
        At last! I'm really liking the changes. Hopefully we'll get a usable release soon.
        Same here, seems like 3.10 and now 3.12 will be pretty solid releases.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          I also dislike this zombie corporate language "The old UI made it particularly hard to consume media..", we're not "consuming" we're watching...
          You got my vote

One thing I really dislike in all these Gnome redesigned "apps" is the "select stuff" button. Why do they have to complicate the user experience on mouse driven machines to improve it on touch driven ones? Can't we have both?

Anyway, enough with the rhetorical questions. Anyone knows what those gray areas around the play button are?

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
            You got my vote

One thing I really dislike in all these Gnome redesigned "apps" is the "select stuff" button. Why do they have to complicate the user experience on mouse driven machines to improve it on touch driven ones? Can't we have both?
            You have both. You can start the selection mode by right clicking on any item. And you can still rubber band select ..

Comment

I don't really get why they're renaming applications to be "GNOME foo", with "foo" being a generic, search-engine unfriendly name... Sure, for users "totem" might not associate with watching videos, but at least KDE solves such problems by having both the name and the description shown in menus (for example, "Music player ? Amarok").

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                I don't really get why they're renaming applications to be "GNOME foo", with "foo" being a generic, search-engine unfriendly name... Sure, for users "totem" might not associate with watching videos, but at least KDE solves such problems by having both the name and the description shown in menus (for example, "Music player ? Amarok").
                Brand awarness is everything. That way you won't mistake Transmission for GNOME Torrents

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  I disagree. No one (outside us geeks) knows what the fuck Nautilus, and Totem, and Shotwell, and Evince, and... is. You want to watch a video on your phone? You open the Videos app. Pictures? You click on Gallery. And it shouldn't be any harder on the desktop. These are basic tools that should just work for what they were made for and not need to have fancy names etc.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                    I disagree. No one (outside us geeks) knows what the burn Nautilus, and Totem, and Shotwell, and Evince, and... is. You want to watch a video on your phone? You open the Videos app. Pictures? You click on Gallery. And it shouldn't be any harder on the desktop. These are basic tools that should just work for what they were made for and not need to have fancy names etc.
                    And then you want to find out how to do something in it, and fail because you find information on the Windows 8 and Android image viewers instead. And then GNOME changes the image viewer, and the user wants to install the old one, but has no idea how to find it. Like I said, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't use the same strategy that KDE does, where it's both clear what things do and preserves the project identity.

Comment

Working...
                    X