GNOME Videos (Totem) Gets Overhauled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    No one (outside us geeks) knows what the fuck Nautilus, and Totem, and Shotwell, and Evince, and... is.
    Exactly, just like nobody that uses OSX knows what Finder is...

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      I disagree. No one (outside us geeks) knows what the fuck Nautilus, and Totem, and Shotwell, and Evince, and... is. You want to watch a video on your phone? You open the Videos app. Pictures? You click on Gallery. And it shouldn't be any harder on the desktop. These are basic tools that should just work for what they were made for and not need to have fancy names etc.
      Really? All of my rather computer illiterate friends (using Windows) know what Explorer, Firefox, VLC, Winamp and so on are. Damn it, they do even know the differences between Firefox and Chrome, Windows Media Player and VLC or Winamp, the differences between the inuilt CD burning app and Nero, ?, and none of them is a geek.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
        Really? All of my rather computer illiterate friends (using Windows) know what Explorer, Firefox, VLC, Winamp and so on are. Damn it, they do even know the differences between Firefox and Chrome, Windows Media Player and VLC or Winamp, the differences between the inuilt CD burning app and Nero, ?, and none of them is a geek.
        Because all of these apps are widely used and extremely popular. That isn't the case for any DE specific app because Linux apps (as opposed to cross platform apps) are very much less recognized for any non geeks.

Comment

"GNOME Videos" is hardly a problem for a search engine. That's actually the stupidest argument I've ever heard.
          Most of the time I have to add "linux" to the search term because a lot of programs are cross-platform, all those programs mentioned earlier in fact.
          GNOME Video will need "linux" added for relevant searches, just tried it in Google (who despite knowing I search linux-related stuff daily, gave me videos of gnomes in Argentina). So what?

I like the branding, makes it clean, doesn't hurt anyone.

Comment

Working...
          X