Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Java JDK 8 Release Candidate Finally Arrives

Default Java JDK 8 Release Candidate Finally Arrives

Phoronix: Java JDK 8 Release Candidate Finally Arrives

Java JDK 8 was delayed due to the lambda expression support and back in September was the first JDK 8 developer preview. This week we now have the first release candidate for the upcoming Java 8...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU5MTk

Default Repository

Hope it gets packaged in the Debian and Fedora repositories soon...

I am coding Java 6 on Android, and its not fun once you tasted C# on the .NET framework.
    Unfortunately, Java 7 isn't supported on Android, only in the very latest release 4.4 Kitkat.

I hope Java 8 will make Java feel more modern and nicer.
    I would really like to see type interfering (the 'var' keyword in C#), and collection initializers.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post

I am coding Java 6 on Android, and its not fun once you tasted C# on the .NET framework.
    Unfortunately, Java 7 isn't supported on Android, only in the very latest release 4.4 Kitkat.

I would really like to see type interfering (the 'var' keyword in C#), and collection initializers.
    Fedora has for a long time had java-1.8.0-openjdk package which tends to be kept pretty close to the latest build You can try it out.

Michael, I'm not sure if Java 8 JDK falls under the AMD category.
    Posted by Michael Larabel in AMD on 04 February 2014 01:23 PM EST
    (You may delete this post once fixed)

I've been compiling Android with openjdk 1.7... forever. Just because something is not officially supported, does not mean that it isn't trivial to fix it.
    Note that cyanogenmod has all the fixes for java 7 built in, and those fixes easily apply to aosp, just look through their gerrit server.

Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    I've been compiling Android with openjdk 1.7... forever. Just because something is not officially supported, does not mean that it isn't trivial to fix it.
    Note that cyanogenmod has all the fixes for java 7 built in, and those fixes easily apply to aosp, just look through their gerrit server.
    If I want to distribute my app, what CyanogenMod supports is irrelevant.

Java 7 only works on end-user devices running Android 4.4 KitKat, which is for the time being almost none.

Excellent news. I hope no bugs are found and the final release comes soon.

I wonder if there are any plans to update java to run on wayland (without X)?

You'd have to get a windows VM (until Xamarin finally decides to support linux) but you could always use Xamarin.Android to use C# on android although maybe the windows version of Xamarin studio might work between wine and mono, but I haven't tried this
    Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 02-04-2014 at 11:28 PM.

C# may be a hair ahead of Java, but it is ___way___ behind Scala. Scala does work on Java 6 and Android but it is a little bit of work.

C# only allows type inference on local variables. Scala does that but also full type inference on function return types, instance variables, and singleton variables ("static" in C#/Java/C++)

Even on KitKat, you can't use JDK 7 libraries like the new IO library.