Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 78

Thread: AMD Open-Sources VCE Video Encode Engine Code

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    68

    Default

    And this is why I stay with AMD for all my own computers. Yes, i would LOVE to have full OpenGL 4.4 support and super duper optimized code, but hey, at least AMD is moving in the right direction. Also doing so in an steadily increasing speed!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Russe, Bulgaria
    Posts
    517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redi44 View Post
    I'm glad that I chose the AMD HW in my two recent builds over the Intel HW
    Intel have supported video encoding via VA-API,
    for a long time now. Just for your information.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    Intel have supported video encoding via VA-API,
    for a long time now. Just for your information.
    Yeah, I'm a little confused with people talking about AMD like they're the first to do it.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    159

    Post

    Good for AMD, another year maybe GCN opensource driver stay on more mature state

    Respect VCE code is very good, for example if simplescreen recorder support this, linux screencasting users appreciate that


  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    You can use VCE to encode to your own h.264/mpeg videos or in combination with UVD to transcode videos.
    Christian, could you elaborate a little abou the flexibility of these blocks (UVD and VCE)? For example, is VCE only usefull for H.264? Could it be eventually used for other codecs, even if only partially?

    What about true audio? Is there any plant to support it on the open driver?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    825

    Thumbs up

    Heh, that was so unexpected that there is not even an entry in http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/ for Video Encode with VCE
    Quote Originally Posted by Figueiredo View Post
    Christian, could you elaborate a little abou the flexibility of these blocks (UVD and VCE)? For example, is VCE only usefull for H.264? Could it be eventually used for other codecs, even if only partially?
    Looks like it supports only H.264 output from page 10 of AMD's UVD3 whitepaper: http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/UVD3_whitepaper.pdf
    Last edited by chithanh; 02-04-2014 at 12:31 PM.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    Intel have supported video encoding via VA-API,
    for a long time now. Just for your information.
    I know. My post wasn't only about this but rather about the quite nice support AMD gives us lately...

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    Intel have supported video encoding via VA-API,
    for a long time now. Just for your information.
    What software supports encoding via vaapi? I didn't find any so far...

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    917

    Default

    @AMD staff

    Some years ago Bridgman said the development department is looking to disentangle
    the decoding units from the DRM blocks in order to make it easier (read less dangerous)
    to release programming documentation.

    Do current ASICs already profit from that "decision" or is this still in the pipeline (or even not pursued anymore)?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    @AMD staff

    Some years ago Bridgman said the development department is looking to disentangle
    the decoding units from the DRM blocks in order to make it easier (read less dangerous)
    to release programming documentation.

    Do current ASICs already profit from that "decision" or is this still in the pipeline (or even not pursued anymore)?
    We are already taking advantage of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •