Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Open-Sources VCE Video Encode Engine Code

Phoronix: AMD Open-Sources VCE Video Encode Engine Code

AMD is doing another large and important open-source graphics driver code drop this morning. This morning AMD is publishing their VCE code that allows for hardware-based video encoding...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. Thank AMD!

Comment

+1 good job!
      Dropped fglrx recently for the oss driver, very happy so far

Comment

Can someone explain to me what the benefits of this are to an average user as if I were five?

Comment

You can use VCE to encode to your own h.264/mpeg videos or in combination with UVD to transcode videos.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
            Can someone explain to me what the benefits of this are to an average user as if I were five?
            Things which encode H.264 video won't bog down the CPU if the software knows how to use VCE.

The main target use is using WiFi to display things on your TV without requiring long wires or a ready-made H.264 video file. (See WiDi, Miracast, and Chromecast)

If it's implemented in a way that it can be used independently from your screen content, it could probably also be used to offload encoding outbound Skype video to the GPU.

Comment

It will allow you to encode H.264 video allot faster. Some video chat, screen sharing and video encoding applications would benefit from this.

Comment

+1

I'm glad that I chose the AMD HW in my two recent builds over the Intel HW

Comment

Realtime or near realitme h.264 encoding is a very nice thing to have.

Comment

Great, AMD!

Now, the interesting part (to me) will be how flexible it is, enabling (or not) quality parameter changes and/or partial usage of VCE (for parts of the encoding process if others can be done in better eg. quality on CPU or shaders) - that would be even greater

Comment

Working...
                    X