Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meigetsu View Post
    Hello,

I am working on an embedded AMD solution (Kabini) and need to use hardware accelerated video encoding. Until now, I was unable to make it work but I was using ffmpeg for my tests and I read here that it does not support h264 HW acceleration. So I am about to test it with gstreamer as suggested here but before I start searching everywhere, I thought I could ask for some guidance ! :-)

So the question is simple : does someone can point me were to start if I want to use HW accelerated h264 encoding on AMD G-series ?

For information, system is linux (for the tests, we run a simple ubuntu on the SOC) and we need to grab X11 screen to a h263 video file. For now, we just installed latest AMD drivers (13.25?).
    I already saw that there is a gstreamer plugin to grab video from X11 but I don't know how to make use hardware acceleration.

Any experiences with that? Maybe a link with a tutorial or whatever ?

Best regards,

Meigetsu
    The probably best way is to contact me direct by mail ([email protected]).

I can give you a walkthrough how to build and use the necessary software components.

Cheers,
    Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by Meigetsu View Post
      For now, we just installed latest AMD drivers (13.25?).
      Note that VCE support requires the open source driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathsimple View Post
        The probably best way is to contact me direct by mail ([email protected]).

I can give you a walkthrough how to build and use the necessary software components.

Cheers,
        Christian.

Thank you very much ! That would be very helpfull. :-)
        I'm sending the mail right away.

Have a nice day,

Meigetsu

Comment

Is there someone in this forum willingful to add VCE support to OBS? Refer to this

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
            ffmpeg has no h264 encoder. They use libx264 and that project don't want hardware encoders. the result is not so nice like what the cpu generates.
            libx264 at least offer indirect hardware assisting for encoding as it offers the possibility to use opencl for some phases of the encoding...

Comment

Originally posted by lano1106 View Post
              libx264 at least offer indirect hardware assisting for encoding as it offers the possibility to use opencl for some phases of the encoding...
              I'd be interested to see something like x264 on hUMA with less overhead...

Comment

Originally posted by lano1106 View Post
                But thats total different from a hardware encoder and the parts, that they can do with opencl is not the slow part of the encoding.

Comment

what about UVD+?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    what about UVD+?
                    Still praying, too. But for for my RS780/880 here, and that's UVD 2 I think. If the legal department gives something free the devs will release it as soon as possible I assume.
                    Please, please

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                      Still praying, too. But for for my RS780/880 here, and that's UVD 2 I think. If the legal department gives something free the devs will release it as soon as possible I assume.
                      Please, please
                      For the lebenty-seven million six hundred and fifty-fourth time it's not just a "legal" thing. And yes we're still working on it.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X