Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Ships Cast SDK For Chromecast

Phoronix: Google Ships Cast SDK For Chromecast

Google has opened up their Chromecast HDMI streaming adapter today by publishing the Google Cast SDK...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Non-free?

So basically, a proprietary protocol, a GPL-incompatible SDK and no native *NIX support. The thing sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by afeder View Post
      So basically, a proprietary protocol, a GPL-incompatible SDK and no native *NIX support. The thing sucks!
      Why do you think it's GPL incompatible?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        Why do you think it's GPL incompatible?
        Because it is not under a free license?

Comment

Because it is not under a free license?
          Oh, i thought you meant it would block GPL apps, not that the SDK itself wasn't GPL.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            Oh, i thought you meant it would block GPL apps, not that the SDK itself wasn't GPL.
            I mean "GPL-incompatible" in the sense used by the FSF: if I take someone's code under the GPL, and link it with the Google Cast library, I'm not free to redistribute the result. At least not as far as I can tell.

Comment

I have also heard bad things...

I mean "GPL-incompatible" in the sense used by the FSF: if I take someone's code under the GPL, and link it with the Google Cast library, I'm not free to redistribute the result. At least not as far as I can tell.
              The rumours are that Google don't let you stream directly to the device (which makes it a bit useless). They are also building an AppStore or something, although I personally don't know the details.

SDK now open to world+dog – but follow the rules, peasant, or risk being cast into the pit

It's a bit weird as even the AppleTV (shock!) is pretty trivial to instruct to play H264 streams. Basically you HTTP POST a "Play: <URL>" to it - albeit this was documented based on a network trace capture.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                The rumours are that Google don't let you stream directly to the device (which makes it a bit useless). They are also building an AppStore or something, although I personally don't know the details.

SDK now open to world+dog – but follow the rules, peasant, or risk being cast into the pit

It's a bit weird as even the AppleTV (shock!) is pretty trivial to instruct to play H264 streams. Basically you HTTP POST a "Play: <URL>" to it - albeit this was documented based on a network trace capture.
                Dunno - maybe not officially, but I have definitely seen a few proof of concepts that allowed streaming any media player (vlc/mplayer) directly to the Chromecast - looks like it is pretty much just an open socket you can write to. Plus, one of the CyanogenMod guys modified Android to allow streaming from any app. Supposedly this was going to be merged when the SDK was officially released.

Comment

I Stream Youtube from Chromium in Linux

"...it's a little gadget I continue to find extremely useful, albeit forced to use it from Android or Chrome on OS X for streaming to televisions in the office."

I sometimes use a Chromecast to stream Youtube videos from Chromium (or Chrome) in Linux without any trouble.

Comment

Working...
                  X