Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Google Ships Cast SDK For Chromecast

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,371

    Default Google Ships Cast SDK For Chromecast

    Phoronix: Google Ships Cast SDK For Chromecast

    Google has opened up their Chromecast HDMI streaming adapter today by publishing the Google Cast SDK...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU5MDg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    14

    Default Non-free?

    So basically, a proprietary protocol, a GPL-incompatible SDK and no native *NIX support. The thing sucks!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afeder View Post
    So basically, a proprietary protocol, a GPL-incompatible SDK and no native *NIX support. The thing sucks!
    Why do you think it's GPL incompatible?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Why do you think it's GPL incompatible?
    Because it is not under a free license?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afeder View Post
    Because it is not under a free license?
    Oh, i thought you meant it would block GPL apps, not that the SDK itself wasn't GPL.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Oh, i thought you meant it would block GPL apps, not that the SDK itself wasn't GPL.
    I mean "GPL-incompatible" in the sense used by the FSF: if I take someone's code under the GPL, and link it with the Google Cast library, I'm not free to redistribute the result. At least not as far as I can tell.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    44

    Default I have also heard bad things...

    Quote Originally Posted by afeder View Post
    I mean "GPL-incompatible" in the sense used by the FSF: if I take someone's code under the GPL, and link it with the Google Cast library, I'm not free to redistribute the result. At least not as far as I can tell.
    The rumours are that Google don't let you stream directly to the device (which makes it a bit useless). They are also building an AppStore or something, although I personally don't know the details.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/03/chromecast_sdk/

    It's a bit weird as even the AppleTV (shock!) is pretty trivial to instruct to play H264 streams. Basically you HTTP POST a "Play: <URL>" to it - albeit this was documented based on a network trace capture.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    The rumours are that Google don't let you stream directly to the device (which makes it a bit useless). They are also building an AppStore or something, although I personally don't know the details.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/03/chromecast_sdk/

    It's a bit weird as even the AppleTV (shock!) is pretty trivial to instruct to play H264 streams. Basically you HTTP POST a "Play: <URL>" to it - albeit this was documented based on a network trace capture.
    Dunno - maybe not officially, but I have definitely seen a few proof of concepts that allowed streaming any media player (vlc/mplayer) directly to the Chromecast - looks like it is pretty much just an open socket you can write to. Plus, one of the CyanogenMod guys modified Android to allow streaming from any app. Supposedly this was going to be merged when the SDK was officially released.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    44

    Default I Stream Youtube from Chromium in Linux

    "...it's a little gadget I continue to find extremely useful, albeit forced to use it from Android or Chrome on OS X for streaming to televisions in the office."

    I sometimes use a Chromecast to stream Youtube videos from Chromium (or Chrome) in Linux without any trouble.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •