Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did Linux Game Publishing do in the 2013

Hi

LGP had been a very important company on the linux game market, but they have stopped publishing games for Linux since 2010.

Michael wrote article about LGP a year ago:

LGP - (2012)

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think it is a right time to summarize what LGP did in the last year:

1. They shut down PenguinPlay:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

2. They removed ixsoft (Germany), fun4tux (Switzerland) from the list of resellers.

3. They informed about the steam keys for X3:

"Some great news for anyone that owns a copy of LGP's X3: We've been in contact with Egosoft and they are working on adding all your LGP keys into Steam. Which means you'll benefit from future updates done by Egosoft themselves as well as have access to your game from within Steam in the near future."

4. They published a new message on Facebook:

"A statement about LGP support:

Since I took over LGP a while back I've made several changes to improve customer feedback and support. Unfortunately the new ticketing/support system I chose has been unable to cope with the sheer volume of spam the LGP support email addresses receive. As it stands today there are close on 80000 tickets in our support tracker. Attempting to locate valid issues and complaints from our customers (with only two support staff) has become a nightmarish ordeal. As of right now LGP has migrated, yet again, to a provider that's able to filter our incoming support requests in a more reliable manner. I truly apologise for delays you may have experienced or support queries that have simply gone completely unanswered - this was never our intention and was, unfortunately, beyond our control. I have at my disposal a data dump of all 80000 prior, current, support requests from the old system and I will be migrating the valid ones to the new system and getting back to those who've been waiting possibly a very long time. Unfortunately this is not going to be accomplished overnight due to the sheer volume of data that'll require manual sorting and verifying. If you have had an issue or are still having an issue kindly resubmit your query to [email protected] and we'll get to it soonest within our new support structures."

Clive Crous as new CEO didn't reveal any information about the new LGP games.
    I hope that you know something more what LGP did in the last year.

LGP removed Linuxpusher.dk (Denmark) from the list of resellers:

Linux Game Publishing - Producing commercial games for Linux

Comment

What I can add is that they responded to me when I asked whether LGP would go to Steam now that there's a Steam Linux client. Their responses are as follows:

Originally posted by Linux Game Publishing
      Steam Greenlight requires, as an absolute minimum requirement, a version for Windows on each submission. By it's very nature LGP is unfortunately excluded.
      and...

Originally posted by Linux Game Publishing
      Unfortunately for LGP, Valve's policies are single purchase, multi-platform. We exclusively develop and publish Linux ports and so cannot publish through them. This does not mean we won't be working through our partners to bring our ports to Steam, it just means we are unable to do so directly due to Valve's policies.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
        What I can add is that they responded to me when I asked whether LGP would go to Steam now that there's a Steam Linux client. Their responses are as follows:

and...
        hmm. I never had a problem with Steam, and I asked them only once about it because I wanted to know the answer. I think that it is hard to expect from LGP that they will provide a free Windows or Mac version of the games.
        I know that a lot of people treat Linux as a interesting hobby, and that was one of the reason why LGP was not a succesful company.

I think they created an incredible DRM system when Desura, USC and Steam were not available for Linux.
        I remember when I purchased Sacred in the box version that I had some interesting options what can I do with the copy of this game.

I don't know what LGP is planning to do but I see something horrible:

They published many games for Linux, but their business partners they have started publishing own versions of their games:

Postal?: Share The Pain published by RWS in many stores.
        Shadowgrounds published by Frozenbyte in many stores.
        Shadowgrounds Survivor published by Frozenbyte in many stores.
        Jets'n'Guns published by RakeInGrass on Steam.
        X2: The Threat published by Egosoft on Steam
        X3: Reunion (X3: Reunion - Special Edition) published by Egosoft on Steam
        Knights and Merchants: The Shattered Kingdom - soon will published by Runesoft on Desura
        Software Tycoon - ported by Runesoft, but I do not know if they plan publish it on Desura.

Comment

I made a mistake because X2: The Threat was abandoned by LGP and Egosoft did not publish this game on Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by gbudny View Post
            hmm. I never had a problem with Steam, and I asked them only once about it because I wanted to know the answer. I think that it is hard to expect from LGP that they will provide a free Windows or Mac version of the games.
            I was more or less curious as to whether LGP would see some business opportunity with Steam on Linux and perhaps have the owners of the game push for their Linux ports to go on Steam but that just seems unlikely. I wish LGP would succeed, but things are looking very bleak at this point in time.

Comment

Working...
            X