Steam Linux Usage Came Up Short In January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
    SteamOS will beat Ubuntu in users when it will come preinstalled at consoles
    What console does Ubuntu come preinstalled on?

I think all these numbers are going to change pretty drastically once a stable version becomes available.

I want to build a DVR/SteamBox.

Comment

I am doing all my work on Linux. Causally I play CS and TF2 on Steam. But my Radeon 4850 ( which is more than enough for these games) sucks at these games with the open source drivers.
      For this reason only I dual boot in to W7.

Comment

I'm only using Steam on my Mint laptop for testing. My desktop still runs Windows because of games. As much effort Valve is putting into Linux, people still have a lot of Windows games we'd like to run on our machines. For example Dark Souls is never going Linux, and it's an awesome game. I have to install Windows Steam on my Linux installation cause Linux Steam doesn't give me the option to install and run Windows games through Wine. Not that Dark Souls even works in Wine.

The whole streaming Windows games to a Linux installation with two computers is a stupid idea. It didn't work for Nvidia's Shield, and it won't work with Linux Steam. Nobody is going to run two machines to do a job that should only be done on one machine. Time to play Dark Souls, better go in my other bedroom and flip on the Windows computer?

I can see why they won't contribute to Wine, but maybe a fork? If there's any company that has more insight on how Windows and Linux works, it's Valve right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Error View Post
          I am doing all my work on Linux. Causally I play CS and TF2 on Steam. But my Radeon 4850 ( which is more than enough for these games) sucks at these games with the open source drivers.
          For this reason only I dual boot in to W7.
          Why not install the Catalyst drivers, then? They aren't perfect, but they beat the pants off of the OSS drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by KingArthur10 View Post
            Why not install the Catalyst drivers, then? They aren't perfect, but they beat the pants off of the OSS drivers.
            Unfortunately my card is not supported anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by NothingMuchHereToSay View Post
              Manjaro most likely won't be preinstalled, however I do agree that SteamOS will be pretty much the majority of Linux users, even though most console gamers won't know that they're running Linux, consider the Android effect, people use Android but know nothing about Linux.
              They don't even know if they run windows. They don't know what an OS is. They refer to it as "program".

Comment

Originally posted by Error View Post
                Unfortunately my card is not supported anymore.
                Gotcha. Now that blows. Can you use an older catalyst driver version? Does that help at all? Then again, you'd probably have to go back to an older kernel version which may necessitate going back to and older version of the OS which may not be supported by Steam.....yeah, that just sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by KingArthur10 View Post
                  AMD apparently decided that we should pay them again for newer hardware. So it dropped Catalyst support for perfectly valid and powerful hardware 1 and a half years ago...

Comment

Absolute numbers?

Does Value report how many people participated in the survey? Without knowing how many people actually answered the survey, it is hard to know how much to worry about swings that are a fraction of a percentage point. They could easily be caused by people one month participating in the survey while running linux, but running windows the next month (I am sure this has happened to me). If the number of participants is large, this should even out, but if not, swings of a couple fractions of a percent should be expected and not treated as actual demographic shifts.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                      AMD apparently decided that we should pay them again for newer hardware. So it dropped Catalyst support for perfectly valid and powerful hardware 1 and a half years ago...
                      Only after 1.5 year?!? That sucks... I have an AMD APU (09-2012) in my HTPC *is worried*

If I compare this with my nvidia 4200 TI card from April 2002... this one is still supported on my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS installation.

Comment

Working...
                      X