Steam Linux Usage Came Up Short In January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Are you really sure that a NV 9500 GT would be faster for any game over a HD 4850 with current oss drivers?
    I have no idea. I have never had an Nvidia card. My Linux experience has only been with AMD cards (and built in Intel gpu's).

I don't really care if this card is faster than that card. As long as it works for the games I am trying to play. I believe SteamOS will improve this for me (and everyone else).

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
      AMD apparently decided that we should pay them again for newer hardware. So it dropped Catalyst support for perfectly valid and powerful hardware 1 and a half years ago...
      This is why NVIDIA FROM NOW ON.

Or at least until AMD's open source drivers actually gives equal or greater performance than their proprietary driver so that they will never be allowed to pull this shit again. Nvidia keeps support for ancient cards in their driver(s) and keeps them up to date with the newest kernels. All that along with Nvidia's drivers being way better means I'm staying put until AMD catches up.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiyoot View Post
        Does that deserve my "Shame on you" to AMD? I still think so as while AMD has helped the open Source driver (as you have so kindly reminded me multiple times), they still dropped official support for a card that isn't that old and would be capable of playing most of today's games without issues. Do you think they dropped support for it because there was an alternative driver available which freed them up to put their limited manpower on other driver development? I don't know.
        To me it's certain that AMD dropped support to save money and developer/engineer resources, or rather shift them to the newer cards. What was dropped at once was the Radeon 2000, 3000 and 4000 series - under the hood they are very similar, the 4000 series is very powerful and had the bug with anti-aliasing performance fixed but it's the same architecture.
        So that was a strategic, annoying decision. Too bad, we have to live with it. It's not only a linux thing, the Windows drivers were dropped as well, you have to stick to some older version and thus not get bug fixes/performance improvement in newer games, which is sometimes an issue.

I'm more confident about Radeon 5000/6000 being supported longer : the technology is used in APUs, including some still sold like A10 6800K, E-350, C60. So I guess AMD will commit at least implicitly to supporting them for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
          To me it's certain that AMD dropped support to save money and developer/engineer resources, or rather shift them to the newer cards. What was dropped at once was the Radeon 2000, 3000 and 4000 series - under the hood they are very similar, the 4000 series is very powerful and had the bug with anti-aliasing performance fixed but it's the same architecture.
          So that was a strategic, annoying decision. Too bad, we have to live with it. It's not only a linux thing, the Windows drivers were dropped as well, you have to stick to some older version and thus not get bug fixes/performance improvement in newer games, which is sometimes an issue.

I'm more confident about Radeon 5000/6000 being supported longer : the technology is used in APUs, including some still sold like A10 6800K, E-350, C60. So I guess AMD will commit at least implicitly to supporting them for a while.
          Boo hoo hoo. The heck do you think the open source drivers are? They outperform the Catalyst drivers for Radeon HD 2000-6000 series and they are developed by AMD. So much for AMD dropping support...

Comment

I just got a Steam survey, although I'm on an outdated laptop with Gen4 Intel G!

My graphics card is an GMA 4500MHD released 2008 integrated into my Dell Vostro. Also I'm surfing using a 3G modem and it wasn't available as an option in the survey, but I know in http://speedof.me/ that it qualified for at least 1Mbit.

Just want to mention that I recently upgraded my system to the latest version of Ubuntu(from 13.04 to 13.10 yesterday) and now I just ran Steam and it popped up the survey window. Never gotten it before. Glad I got it only on linux, not used Windows(or any other system) since about 2007...
            Last edited by powdigsig; 10 February 2014, 04:51 PM. Reason: some couldn't be answered

Comment

It sucsk for people on Ubuntu 12.04 or derivates, debian stable and the like, the easy way to get the newer graphics drivers is to upgrade/replace the whole OS. Oh, there are a combined Xorg/kernel backports for Ubuntu 12.04, but it worked on one computer and not on one other.

I would consider the situation acceptable when Ubuntu 14.04 is out - and little day-one critical bugs have been fixed out. For Debian Testing, I don't know when it gets those higher grade open source drivers or it has them already. So AMD cards, see you later in three monthes, or almost four monthes so I can install Mint 17 Mate on random not-mine computers.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
                It sucsk for people on Ubuntu 12.04 or derivates, debian stable and the like, the easy way to get the newer graphics drivers is to upgrade/replace the whole OS. Oh, there are a combined Xorg/kernel backports for Ubuntu 12.04, but it worked on one computer and not on one other.

I would consider the situation acceptable when Ubuntu 14.04 is out - and little day-one critical bugs have been fixed out. For Debian Testing, I don't know when it gets those higher grade open source drivers or it has them already. So AMD cards, see you later in three monthes, or almost four monthes so I can install Mint 17 Mate on random not-mine computers.
                Yeah, real hard:
                #1 https://01.org/linuxgraphics/ http://www.geforce.com/drivers http://ati.amd.com
                #2 http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/xorg-edgers

Up to you.
                Last edited by squirrl; 10 February 2014, 08:24 PM.

Comment

@grok

I have got a repo with mesa 10.0.3 + some uvd fixes for Debian wheezy+. For more info: irc://irc.freenode.net/#kanotix - ask the bot about !mesa-exp . Most likely i will update it to 10.1 when it is final. Compared to pure Debian the repo fully supports radeonsi based cards as well, in Debian itself glamor is missing which is needed for those cards.

Comment

Working...
                  X