Steam Linux Usage Came Up Short In January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Temar View Post
    As they are in line with all the other stats we have about Linux adoption, they are also believable.
    But the same comparison with OS X finds 3.47% usage share on Steam, in contrast to the common statistic of 6-8%. Clearly, the PC gaming submarket is not a representative sample of the overall PC OS market.

Comment

Just give me Linux clients for "League Of Legends" and "Path Of Exile" and I'll remove this fu**ing Windows partition !

The problem always relies on game availability ...

Comment

I can only list the reasons why I boot Windows again instead of gaming under Arch/Manjaro:
        Most games are not ported and Dota 2, which I play most of the time now, has still way to many Linux/Mac related bugs, which result in disadvantages for me.
        For example: [Linux] Losing sound ingame - the bug is known already for 5 months.

There are also positive examples like Mark of the Ninja or Half-Life 2 which work flawlessly and which I enjoy playing under Linux

Comment

I use to use my windows partition for playing games but about a year ago I decided I was just going to use my Linux partition and only purchase games on steam that had a Linux version. Prior to this change I remember being given the Steam survey around 4 or 5 times since 2006. In the past year I had the survey appear on my system once when I was logged into windows one day. I immediately logged out and checked my Linux steam and sure enough I was asked to participate in the Steam survey on my Linux machine as well so I think the two are linked some how.

Another odd thing is that I participate in most of the Humble Bundles as I want the Linux versions of the games. As a result, I have bought most of them that have a Linux version of the games. I have only played these games on my Linux partition and typically through Steam as I gave up on trying to get Dungeon Defenders to work outside of Steam (bah! that still makes me mad). A few weeks ago I was checking out my Humble Bundle download pages when I noticed that all of them had the purchases being applied as a Windows purchase instead of a Linux purchase. I had to go through each purchase page individually to fix this. I don't believe I am the only one who was unaware of this so I would guess that there are even more Linux users out there then we are led to believe based of the Humble Bundle stats.

Maybe Valve could be down playing the Linux stats for the time being until they get everything in order to then open the flood gates and "reveal" the Linux threat by doing a system wide Steam survey once SteamOS has been completed? Not sure what this would accomplish through and it is all speculation (don't go creating a new conspiracy based on this)...

I also use a AMD 4850 video card that still works for most Linux games I run but I do wish they would get better drivers. I'd like to try Strife but with the current open source drivers, Strife dies on me when trying to play the game. I am going to check out that link to an upgrade for the old AMD cards a few pages back to see if that works. Stupid AMD Legacy Drivers! My next video card will be from Nvidia as they appear to be improving leaps and bounds with Valves help.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
            I'm only using Steam on my Mint laptop for testing. My desktop still runs Windows because of games. As much effort Valve is putting into Linux, people still have a lot of Windows games we'd like to run on our machines. For example Dark Souls is never going Linux, and it's an awesome game. I have to install Windows Steam on my Linux installation cause Linux Steam doesn't give me the option to install and run Windows games through Wine. Not that Dark Souls even works in Wine.

The whole streaming Windows games to a Linux installation with two computers is a stupid idea. It didn't work for Nvidia's Shield, and it won't work with Linux Steam. Nobody is going to run two machines to do a job that should only be done on one machine. Time to play Dark Souls, better go in my other bedroom and flip on the Windows computer?

I can see why they won't contribute to Wine, but maybe a fork? If there's any company that has more insight on how Windows and Linux works, it's Valve right now.
            On my case dark souls works good but its tricky, this is video gameplay from my youtube channel

For required infromation to run game, you can see this

and consult on messages for this

For anyone struggling to get the crack working...
            by Joo on Monday September 2nd 2013, 16:46

on this theme had solution for works and movie folder must be renamed

Comment

I got the survey this time (first time in a long time), but it just happened to appear when I went to Steam under Wine for a minute to check if I had any updates to download. When I saw this, I actually closed Steam down before accepting the survey, and went back to my native GNU/Linux install, but I could not get the survey to appear. Later when I relaunched Steam under Wine again, the survey reappeared.

In the end, I had to complete it with my Wine install, which AFAICT contributes to the Windows XP score.. :/

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiyoot View Post
                A few weeks ago I was checking out my Humble Bundle download pages when I noticed that all of them had the purchases being applied as a Windows purchase instead of a Linux purchase. I had to go through each purchase page individually to fix this. I don't believe I am the only one who was unaware of this so I would guess that there are even more Linux users out there then we are led to believe based of the Humble Bundle stats.
                It happened to me just one week ago... most of my purchases appeared as windows ones... I had to go trough them individually too.

While we are speaking about the Humble Bundle, do you know if there is really a chance that CIV V may see a port?

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                  While we are speaking about the Humble Bundle, do you know if there is really a chance that CIV V may see a port?
                  This is way off topic but may be relevant as it does involve increasing Linux Gaming numbers....
                  I have not investigated this at all so I can't comment regarding Civ V (a quick google revealed that there might be a version floating around that was used for demo'ing SteamOS but has not yet been released/revealed for whatever reasons). Funny thing is I bought it for Windows during some Steam Sale a while ago but have never tried it as I am strictly doing the Linux game thing.

I find myself only buying games that are playable on Linux, regardless of how good of a deal they are. As for older games being released for Linux I'd shake my head no as the majority of these types of games take too much time and no one wants to invest money into an old game for an unproven platform (at this moment) plus once they are converted you end up with twice as many customer issues for each os. Just look at Dungeon Defenders and the crap state it is in. The Linux version is not on par with the windows version and it doesn't look like it will be fixed (Hmmm, maybe not buying Dungeon Defenders 2 will teach them a lesson....).

Sure the independent games are doing great but until the AAA games start doing well, we will have to live with the Indie games in my opinion. That being said, I see a slew of good games coming this way for Linux which I will jump on. Planetary Annihilation is at the top of my list, as well as Dungeon Defenders 2 (I read in some forum that they said they are doing a Linux Version right out of the gate and not some crap conversion afterwards - can that even be considered a AAA game!? Should I even support this company!? lol) and I am looking forward to Overgrowth (again, an Indie game but man does it look fun). After a few bigger games are released (Half Life 3 hahaha) on Linux, I think things should improve for Linux gaming then on. I think we are screwed for old games though and no, I am not going to use WINE to play them. Having Nvidia helping out the open source video drivers always helps as well... AMD... shame on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiyoot View Post
                    Having Nvidia helping out the open source video drivers always helps as well... AMD... shame on you.
                    Full what. Please excuse me as I pick up the pieces of my jaw.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      Full what. Please excuse me as I pick up the pieces of my jaw.
                      LOL. If my AMD 4850 was supported at this time I wouldn't be so harsh against AMD but alas, that isn't the case. Granted Nvidia's past has been crap when discussing Linux support but with Valve pushing hard with SteamOS, they appear to be working the hardest to "fix" things. That said, Nvidia isn't perfect as I know their Optimus multi GPU code is crap hence the creation of BumbleBee. Do you see AMD fixing their drivers or assisting with the open source drivers so that my card might one day operate like it does in windows without having to build my own driver from assorted bits and pieces pulled from assorted kernels and packages and hope it boots up after doing so? I hope so. Maybe SteamOS if it pans out will force this.

Comment

Working...
                      X