Color and Gradients Banding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color and Gradients Banding

When using the open driver for my graphic card (Radeon HD 6520G, on APU A6-3400m) I get ugly gradients and color banding (see the image). Everything fine and smooth with Catalyst.

I want to stay with the open drivers, but this issue is driving me crazy.

I have tested with kernels 3.10, 3.11, 3.12 and 3.13. With and without DPM.

Please file a bug.

Comment

I had a similar problem on my X1600 on a MacBook Pro. It was indeed fixed after I reported the bug.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Please file a bug.
        Cant you point me to the right place to submit the bug? What should I attach to it? Some log relevant for the issue?

Comment

bugs.freedesktop.org

Component is the xorg driver xf86-video-ati probably. Attach your screenshot, describe system versions (kernel, X, mesa, xf86-video-ati).

Comment

https://bugs.freedesktop.org Product: DRI, Component: DRM/Radeon. Display setup is done in the kernel so it's probably a kernel driver issue. Attach your xorg log and dmesg output.

Comment

This looks like not enough video depth

Originally posted by samigina View Post
              When using the open driver for my graphic card (Radeon HD 6520G, on APU A6-3400m) I get ugly gradients and color banding (see the image). Everything fine and smooth with Catalyst.

I want to stay with the open drivers, but this issue is driving me crazy.

I have tested with kernels 3.10, 3.11, 3.12 and 3.13. With and without DPM.

Have you tried forcing video depth to 24 in xorg.conf ? This looks like what you see when you constrain the number of colors in an image. I saw effects like that when I was toyng with video depth (to save video ram) on a Pentium 3 450 MHZ I was trying to force to play VGA video and simultaniously support a 1080p screen. At a depth of 15 this effect was prominant, it was not at a depth of 16. Normal video depth is almost always 24, wonder if your card/driver combination is defaulting to a lower depth?

Comment

It seemls like theres already a bug about this issue:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=73911

Im gonna review the depth color in my xorg. I will report the result.

Comment

MyXorg.log says 24 bits color depth, so I guess that is not the problem:

RADEON(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
                  "Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
                  [ 24.292] (==) RADEON(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
                  [ 24.292] (II) RADEON(0): Pixel depth = 24 bits stored in 4 bytes (32 bpp pixmaps)
                  [ 24.292] (==) RADEON(0): Default visual is TrueColor
                  [ 24.292] (==) RADEON(0): RGB weight 888
                  [ 24.292] (II) RADEON(0): Using 8 bits per RGB (8 bit DAC)

Comment

Working...
                  X