CompuLab Utilite: A Tiny, Low-Power, Low-Cost, ARM Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    Really? I thought AMD was going to be pushing HSA on the datacenter with APU Opterons, even if that GPU doesn't have video output capability.
    Yes, but Rob was talking about "multimedia and graphics accelerators" not GPU compute, at least that was how I read his post.

I was in the process of editing my post into something longer and more detailed, but the network crapped out for a minute and when it came back and submitted changes I (predictably) ran into the edit timeout
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post
      Does the recently announced AMD part even have a GPU or display controller? I don't think server chips are where you want to be looking if you care about multimedia and graphics accelerators. You will have to wait until 64b trickles into some more phone/tablet type devices first.
      Not that I claim to know much about anything, but since when have you cared if your CPU does (not) have an integrated GPU/video output?

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
        hmmm.... I'm really interested but I can't order since our customs would apply at least 150 euros in taxes... probably more if they see 'made in Israel'.

Anyone from the european union going to israel in the coming months?
        If you're inside the EU, check out Open Company in Denmark. They have the Utilite Pro version in stock.
        Direct link:

I've bought one from them, and it arrived within a couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
          Not that I claim to know much about anything, but since when have you cared if your CPU does (not) have an integrated GPU/video output?
          /me confused.. was that for me or the original poster that I was replying too?

(for the record.. whether or not I care whether some chip has integrated gpu/display/multimedia depends on the use-case.. I was simply pointing out that, because they take up quite a bit of die area, you should not assume that a 64bit (or otherwise) arm server chip is going to have those sort of IP blocks)

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post
            /me confused.. was that for me or the original poster that I was replying too?

(for the record.. whether or not I care whether some chip has integrated gpu/display/multimedia depends on the use-case.. I was simply pointing out that, because they take up quite a bit of die area, you should not assume that a 64bit (or otherwise) arm server chip is going to have those sort of IP blocks)
            Perhaps the poster was confused by the SoC concept with AMD chips. You don't buy these CPUs and plug them into a mobo, you just get the chip and everything as 1 part. If there's no gpu/display present, you can't add it later.

Comment

thx duckman but I would never pay 301 eur for a arm mini pc...

curaga, I just love how you nordics fail to realize what cesspit of corruption the south is and think the european union gives a shit.

I have had friends imprisioned for attending protests, there are kids here that are simply executed by police because they were black and running away and you really think the turds in brussels are gonna give a shit if some customs officials bends the taxes so he can charge you more?

Comment

Odroid U3

I have just got an Odroid U3 which should crush this utilite. This should make it quite interesting indeed. It doesn't have a real case and it's more on a developer board but with it's quad A9 at 1,7GHz plus 2GB LPDDR2 and quad Mali 400 I think it can deliver some serious punches. It's basically the chip from Samsung Galaxy S3 augmented with ethernet, usb, gpio, etc.. So, what about benchmarking U3 and add it to the graph ? It cost ~ 95$ with case, power, hdmi cable and shipping (30$) and 5$ less if you choose community edition that's esentially the same board. It already supports android and linux (xubuntu, opensuse 12.2 - a bit dated, archlinux arm and voidlinux - he! ).

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
                  an idea if xbmc would run fine on this including hardware accel on video decoding?
                  It sure does. Compulab has had many XBMC-related posts on their Google+ page. It even supports CEC, which apparently most other i.MX6 devices don't connect on the HDMI port.

Comment

I am very happy with my Utilite, though it's about time they upgraded from Ubuntu 12 to 14.

Comment

Working...
                    X