CompuLab Utilite: A Tiny, Low-Power, Low-Cost, ARM Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
    hmmm.... I'm really interested but I can't order since our customs would apply at least 150 euros in taxes... probably more if they see 'made in Israel'.

Anyone from the european union going to israel in the coming months?
    There is also http://cubox-i.com/ (and the related carrier-1 board).. same iMX6 SoC(s), might be easier to get in EU.. not really sure, but worth a check..

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
      hmmm.... I'm really interested but I can't order since our customs would apply at least 150 euros in taxes... probably more if they see 'made in Israel'.
      These guys ship from the UK:
      Fanless PC Pioneers, Tiny Green PC provide Support, Expertise & Fanless Mini PCs, such as Intense PC3, Fitlet2 and Fitlet RM. 5-Year Warranty. B2B only.

Comment

an idea if xbmc would run fine on this including hardware accel on video decoding?

Comment

Does Phoronix do network tests (both WiFi and Ethernet)? I read that the GigE port using the embedded controller is very slow compared to the other Intel one.

Thanks!

Comment

"No customs duty, you only pay VAT, ~35 euros depending on where you are. "

unfortunately the thing about the EU is that you can't compare the rule of law in countries like denmark or germany to the likes of portugal or romania....

I can tell you from the last time I made the mistake of ordering something from the states, the customs guy charged me 30 euros just to open the package because he needed to 'inspect' he then applied 100% of the price in taxes... if they see something shipped from israel and they are anti semitic they can pretty much just apply 300% of tax or whatever they want, it's not like there's a system where you can demand your rights.

I'm getting a certificate error in tinygreenpc.com

and they are kinda greedy ... 264 euros plus 40 euros shipping??? are they fucking crazy 304 euros for a arm mini pc?

Comment

it's not like there's a system where you can demand your rights.
              Totally, if your own courts are that corrupt, the EU court clearly doesn't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by shaurz View Post
                It's cool and all, but a bit before its time. I will wait until a more standardised system based on 64-bit ARMv8 (probably based on the new server standard) before buying in. I'd like to see something with very good hardware video encoders, that would eliminate most of my need for powerful Intel CPUs.
                Pretty much this. I really want to see what the AMD ARM64 servers are capable of, especially since they support as many as 8 SATA drives. Hopefully the GPU is based on their existing tech enough that the AMD ARM server can get working drivers done very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                  Pretty much this. I really want to see what the AMD ARM64 servers are capable of, especially since they support as many as 8 SATA drives. Hopefully the GPU is based on their existing tech enough that the AMD ARM server can get working drivers done very quickly.
                  Does the recently announced AMD part even have a GPU or display controller? I don't think server chips are where you want to be looking if you care about multimedia and graphics accelerators. You will have to wait until 64b trickles into some more phone/tablet type devices first.

Comment

AFAIK these parts are like most of our server chips, aimed at systems where the primary user interfaces are network console and one power LED per "big box 'o cores".
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      AFAIK these parts are like most of our server chips, aimed at systems where the primary user interfaces are network console and one power LED per "big box 'o cores".
                      Really? I thought AMD was going to be pushing HSA on the datacenter with APU Opterons, even if that GPU doesn't have video output capability.

Comment

Working...
                      X