SilverStone PS08: A Decent, Ultra Low-Cost Micro-ATX Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tehehe View Post
    Anyone can recommend any decent MiniITX case? No expensive cases please.
    I use a SilverStone SG06. It's a decent case, but I think the airflow could be better; with the motherboard I have, at least, the CPU is under the PSU, which limits your cooling options to low-profile coolers (may be an issue depending on the processor you choose) and the cables block the vent on the right, the PSU blocks most of the upper vent, and if you have a GPU it'll block a majority of the left vent unless it's low-profile. The only place to mount a fan, really, is the front where there's a (fairly decent) 120mm (non-pwm) fan that you might want to replace.

It's also not exactly a small case--it fits a full-size gfx card (I have an HD7770 in mine), but if you don't want one this big I'm sure you could find a better one for less. It was about $120 when I got it on NewEgg, with 350 watt PSU included, but they don't sell the exact model I got anymore. You can get it without the PSU for about $70.

Comment

Dmn edit limit, 300 watt, not 350. :/

Comment

Not gonna lie, I can't believe that I just heard SilverStone and low-cost in the same headline.

Comment

i couldn't tell if the back fan was 120mm or not. less than 120mm is a deal breaker for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
            i couldn't tell if the back fan was 120mm or not. less than 120mm is a deal breaker for me.
            If you go to the NewEgg product page, it has a picture of the fan on the front of the case. It's 120mm and spans the width, so I'd imagine the one in the back is a good bit smaller--probably 80mm or less. Or, if you look at the specifications on NewEgg, it says 1 x 120mm and 1 x 80mm in the front, and 1 x 80mm or 92mm in the rear.

Comment

And what's wrong with 80mm fans? There are lots of new chassis being manufactured and shipped that still use them. Bigger isn't always better.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                And what's wrong with 80mm fans? There are lots of new chassis being manufactured and shipped that still use them. Bigger isn't always better.
                Bigger is certainly better here. You can push the same amount of air at lower RPM with a 120mm as you can with an 80mm fan. Lower RPM = quieter operation. Hence bigger fans = quieter operation.

It's no surprise why most performance-oriented cases these days are starting to ship with 140mm and even 200mm fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  fan balance. 120mm intake, 120mm exhaust. There's plenty of other budget matx cases that minimally has this.

Getting that heat from the cpu area out of the case is very important.

Sorry, my experience with computer systems is pretty heavily influenced by heavy duty production processing and experiencing systems overheating and burned up drives.

Comment

fan balance. 120mm intake, 120mm exhaust. There's plenty of other budget matx cases that minimally has this.

Getting that heat from the cpu area out of the case is very important.

Sorry, my experience with computer systems is pretty heavily influenced by heavy duty production processing and experiencing systems overheating and burned up drives.
                    I did a test in my HTPC that has three 80mm fans to see what is optimal in practise. My tests showed that intake always beats exhaust, no matter which of the fans blows where; probably because air gets exhausted even without the help of a fan, but just by convection and air pressure. So 120 mm intake and 80 mm exhaust should be fine (and much better than the opposite).

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      I did a test in my HTPC that has three 80mm fans to see what is optimal in practise. My tests showed that intake always beats exhaust, no matter which of the fans blows where; probably because air gets exhausted even without the help of a fan, but just by convection and air pressure. So 120 mm intake and 80 mm exhaust should be fine (and much better than the opposite).
                      I do entirely agree with that, the intake trumps. There's still plenty of options out there that are inexpensive and have dual 120s anyways. One positive thing that has changed is that hard drive temps seem to have really dropped in the past 10 years. I'm not sure how much heat SSDs generate in comparison but their smaller size seems to make them easier to cool.

Playing around with different cases in the past that do days worth of highly threaded complex geometry processing gave us a decent idea of do's and don'ts for certain configurations. Yeah some of the more important systems were server room, but not all.

Comment

Working...
                      X