Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: SilverStone PS08: A Decent, Ultra Low-Cost Micro-ATX Case

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tehehe View Post
    Anyone can recommend any decent MiniITX case? No expensive cases please.
    I use a SilverStone SG06. It's a decent case, but I think the airflow could be better; with the motherboard I have, at least, the CPU is under the PSU, which limits your cooling options to low-profile coolers (may be an issue depending on the processor you choose) and the cables block the vent on the right, the PSU blocks most of the upper vent, and if you have a GPU it'll block a majority of the left vent unless it's low-profile. The only place to mount a fan, really, is the front where there's a (fairly decent) 120mm (non-pwm) fan that you might want to replace.

    It's also not exactly a small case--it fits a full-size gfx card (I have an HD7770 in mine), but if you don't want one this big I'm sure you could find a better one for less. It was about $120 when I got it on NewEgg, with 350 watt PSU included, but they don't sell the exact model I got anymore. You can get it without the PSU for about $70.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Dmn edit limit, 300 watt, not 350. :/

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Creve Coeur, Missouri
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Not gonna lie, I can't believe that I just heard SilverStone and low-cost in the same headline.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    208

    Default

    i couldn't tell if the back fan was 120mm or not. less than 120mm is a deal breaker for me.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
    i couldn't tell if the back fan was 120mm or not. less than 120mm is a deal breaker for me.
    If you go to the NewEgg product page, it has a picture of the fan on the front of the case. It's 120mm and spans the width, so I'd imagine the one in the back is a good bit smaller--probably 80mm or less. Or, if you look at the specifications on NewEgg, it says 1 x 120mm and 1 x 80mm in the front, and 1 x 80mm or 92mm in the rear.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
    i couldn't tell if the back fan was 120mm or not. less than 120mm is a deal breaker for me.
    And what's wrong with 80mm fans? There are lots of new chassis being manufactured and shipped that still use them. Bigger isn't always better.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    And what's wrong with 80mm fans? There are lots of new chassis being manufactured and shipped that still use them. Bigger isn't always better.
    Bigger is certainly better here. You can push the same amount of air at lower RPM with a 120mm as you can with an 80mm fan. Lower RPM = quieter operation. Hence bigger fans = quieter operation.

    It's no surprise why most performance-oriented cases these days are starting to ship with 140mm and even 200mm fans.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    And what's wrong with 80mm fans? There are lots of new chassis being manufactured and shipped that still use them. Bigger isn't always better.
    fan balance. 120mm intake, 120mm exhaust. There's plenty of other budget matx cases that minimally has this.

    Getting that heat from the cpu area out of the case is very important.

    Sorry, my experience with computer systems is pretty heavily influenced by heavy duty production processing and experiencing systems overheating and burned up drives.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
    fan balance. 120mm intake, 120mm exhaust. There's plenty of other budget matx cases that minimally has this.

    Getting that heat from the cpu area out of the case is very important.

    Sorry, my experience with computer systems is pretty heavily influenced by heavy duty production processing and experiencing systems overheating and burned up drives.
    I did a test in my HTPC that has three 80mm fans to see what is optimal in practise. My tests showed that intake always beats exhaust, no matter which of the fans blows where; probably because air gets exhausted even without the help of a fan, but just by convection and air pressure. So 120 mm intake and 80 mm exhaust should be fine (and much better than the opposite).

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I did a test in my HTPC that has three 80mm fans to see what is optimal in practise. My tests showed that intake always beats exhaust, no matter which of the fans blows where; probably because air gets exhausted even without the help of a fan, but just by convection and air pressure. So 120 mm intake and 80 mm exhaust should be fine (and much better than the opposite).
    I do entirely agree with that, the intake trumps. There's still plenty of options out there that are inexpensive and have dual 120s anyways. One positive thing that has changed is that hard drive temps seem to have really dropped in the past 10 years. I'm not sure how much heat SSDs generate in comparison but their smaller size seems to make them easier to cool.

    Playing around with different cases in the past that do days worth of highly threaded complex geometry processing gave us a decent idea of do's and don'ts for certain configurations. Yeah some of the more important systems were server room, but not all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •