Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuck you, nvidia!

Originally posted by Alexandre Courbot
    The scope of this work is strictly limited to Tegra and we do not have any plan to work on user-space support. So do not uninstall that proprietary driver just yet.
    Well? In that case DO NOT INSTALL THAT PROPRIETARY GPU JUST YET

Comment

I don't have any Nvidia GPUs/SoCs, but I'm happy to see this.

Even if it doesn't do a huge amount at the moment, it will surely save the Nouveau developers some time and headaches.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        They already said they were looking at it, but just like with AMD's DPM, there are a lot of things to do legal and technical review for.
        I know what they said, and your interpretation seems a lot more positive than mine was. They basically said to assume it won't ever happen, but hey, we'll take a look and see.

Comment

Originally posted by MWisBest View Post
          PVR isn't closed.
          IIRC, Intel had problems with some of their chipsets using PowerVR because it was closed and they were unable to release free drivers for it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm almost sure there actually were articles here about that.
          Anyway, Mali doesn't offer a free driver (I mean, their manufacturers, I know there's an unofficial one), the same for other common brand, I forgot its name, but there are articles in Phoronix about the unofficial one.

Comment

-

Tegra K1 = dubious advertising !
            -
            2.5x performance lead over the A7 ...ok.. but.. TDP not mentioned in this scenario.
            -
            A7 + same power envelope = K1 win ???? .... Tegra 4 says no !!!

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              I know what they said, and your interpretation seems a lot more positive than mine was. They basically said to assume it won't ever happen, but hey, we'll take a look and see.
              AMD also had huge disclaimers about DPM possibly never happening. But it happened.

Comment

Nice! Good job nVidia

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
                  Part of me hopes Nvidia is starting to see the light, but it honestly looks like this is just beneficial to Nvidia, not the users.
                  These are baby steps, but I guess you have to start somewhere.

Actually, I'm a bit suprised about this move. I had expected that if NVidia ever decided to write a fully featured open source driver, they would choose a full frontal approach with dozens of full-time developers writing most of the code themselves. Instead, there is just one developer whose actions appear to be merely tolerated by management.
                  Originally posted by ?John? View Post
                  Well? In that case DO NOT INSTALL THAT PROPRIETARY GPU JUST YET
                  If I understand the article correctly, the Tegra K1 patch brings open source support for that SoC to the level of the PowerVR based Intel Atoms (Poulsbo/GMA500/600/3600).

Comment

Typo: Januart → January

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                      I had expected that if NVidia ever decided to write a fully featured open source driver, they would choose a full frontal approach
                      Yes indeed, a fairy demo with full frontal assets is what Nvidia needs!

Comment

Working...
                      X