Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel GLAMOR Gains X-Video Support

Phoronix: Intel GLAMOR Gains X-Video Support

The xf86-video-intel DDX driver had a brown paper bag update on Saturday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At this rate, we'll hit 3.0 by force - it'll just be the release after 2.99.999.

Comment

XVideo

I thought XVideo was pretty much dead.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I think it's still the default renderer of mplayer.
        But I'm using opengl for better subtitle quality.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          And I thought they were all in with SNA. Doesn't GLAMOR try to fill the same niche with a less optimal but easier to accomplish approach?

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
            And I thought they were all in with SNA. Doesn't GLAMOR try to fill the same niche with a less optimal but easier to accomplish approach?
            Intel is a big enough company that i think different people in it have different views about SNA and where they want to go in the future.

Also, i think that with X being replaced with Wayland, it makes a lot more sense to go with something like glamor that doesn't require a lot of new work on each new hardware release. XRender accereration should start to become a lot less important over the next few years, and that should open up the door for a less optimal but more easily maintained solution over SNA.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              Intel is a big enough company that i think different people in it have different views about SNA and where they want to go in the future.
              That's for sure. But as I said, I thought they were all in with SNA, that it was a point where mostly everyone agreed upon.

Also, i think that with X being replaced with Wayland, it makes a lot more sense to go with something like glamor that doesn't require a lot of new work on each new hardware release. XRender accereration should start to become a lot less important over the next few years, and that should open up the door for a less optimal but more easily maintained solution over SNA.
              Yes, maybe it's got something to do with Wayland. I still wonder what will they finally do for 2D acceleration with Wayland, I thought they'd maybe make a generic 2D library implementing a common (but probably nicer than X) interface for 2D acceleration, and then adapt the DDX drivers to provide that. This way, it's not integrated into Wayland but you still get the acceleration with code paths based on the hardware you are running on, and ideally they don't have to restart everything from scratch but refactor existing drivers.

Comment

That's for sure. But as I said, I thought they were all in with SNA, that it was a point where mostly everyone agreed upon.

Yes, maybe it's got something to do with Wayland. I still wonder what will they finally do for 2D acceleration with Wayland, I thought they'd maybe make a generic 2D library implementing a common (but probably nicer than X) interface for 2D acceleration, and then adapt the DDX drivers to provide that. This way, it's not integrated into Wayland but you still get the acceleration with code paths based on the hardware you are running on, and ideally they don't have to restart everything from scratch but refactor existing drivers.
                2D acceleration is done through the OpenGL backend of cairo.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                  2D acceleration is done through the OpenGL backend of cairo.
                  Thanks for the clarification. I was under the misunderstanding (guided by someone's post in another thread, in the one about Cairo's possible inclusion in the C++ standard, like a month ago) that Cairo only did software rendering.

Comment

Doesn't GLAMOR try to fill the same niche with a less optimal but easier to accomplish approach?
                    I'm not even sure if it'll end up being dramatically less optimal. A lot of current Glamor performance issues seem to be due to bugs or missing features. It will likely be reasonably fast when it's matured.

Comment

Working...
                    X