No announcement yet.

OpenSUSE 13.2 Will Be Released In November

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't mind a slower release cycle, I find myself constantly on the older release cause a new one came too fast. The devs are discussing switching to 12months from current 8, which I would find a lot more convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by doweeez View Post
      Aww, this sucks balls. Just jumped on this distro, and SUSE developers are abandoning it.

No one is abandoning anything, the openSUSE team will be working in something else, namely the OBS and openQA for the next 8 months, that's all.

Comment

Same thing

Originally posted by crrodriguez View Post
        No one is abandoning anything, the openSUSE team will be working in something else, namely the OBS and openQA for the next 8 months, that's all.
        There's no functional difference between "abandoning it" and "we're still here, we just aren't going to be working on it". Either way, they're not going to be contributing like they once did.

Comment

Originally posted by alcalde View Post
          There's no functional difference between "abandoning it" and "we're still here, we just aren't going to be working on it". Either way, they're not going to be contributing like they once did.
          Read the mailing list...
          1. nobody is abandoning anything
          2. the OpenSUSE Team @SUSE is changing their work focus from releases to more lower level stuff, the number of paid staff stays the same
          3. the OpenSUSE Team @SUSE is not the only team there working on OpenSUSE, there are many other that contribute too
          4. the change is that the OpenSUSE community is going to be totally in charge of new releases (which can be good or bad depending on how it turns out)

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
            Read the mailing list...
            2. the OpenSUSE Team @SUSE is changing their work focus from releases to more lower level stuff, the number of paid staff stays the same
            3. the OpenSUSE Team @SUSE is not the only team there working on OpenSUSE, there are many other that contribute too
            4. the change is that the OpenSUSE community is going to be totally in charge of new releases (which can be good or bad depending on how it turns out)
            5. This is only for the next release. Once the lower-level improvements are in finished the paid developers will return to their regular duties.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
              Read the mailing list...
              You seem to have missed the part where I said this is functionally equivalent. "The police are abandoning my neighborhood" and "The amount of officers is still the same; we're just not responding to calls in your neighborhood anymore" result in the identical impact to me; they're indistinguishable. And how relevant to OpenSUSE users is it that "the number of paid [SUSE employees] stays the same" if they're not working on OpenSUSE anymore? That's still a net loss of people working on OpenSUSE. In fact, by focusing their effort on OBS and OpenQA, they are indeed abandoning the distro proper. Anything else is just a word game.

>3. the OpenSUSE Team @SUSE is not the only team there working on OpenSUSE, there are many other that contribute too

Agreed, but this is about the impact it will have on OpenSUSE releases.

>4. the change is that the OpenSUSE community is going to be totally in charge of new releases (which can be good or bad depending on how it turns out)

It's more than just that they're in charge; they'll be the only ones contributing towards it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                5. This is only for the next release. Once the lower-level improvements are in finished the paid developers will return to their regular duties.
                True. We hope.

Comment

And how relevant to OpenSUSE users is it that "the number of paid [SUSE employees] stays the same" if they're not working on OpenSUSE anymore? That's still a net loss of people working on OpenSUSE. In fact, by focusing their effort on OBS and OpenQA, they are indeed abandoning the distro proper. Anything else is just a word game.
                  They are still working on OpenSUSE - there is a lot more to a distro than just pushing new releases.

Comment

YAnd how relevant to OpenSUSE users is it that "the number of paid [SUSE employees] stays the same" if they're not working on OpenSUSE anymore? That's still a net loss of people working on OpenSUSE. In fact, by focusing their effort on OBS and OpenQA, they are indeed abandoning the distro proper. Anything else is just a word game.
                    OBS and OpenQA are components of openSUSE. The aren't "abandoning the distro proper", any more than having developers work on KDE or GNome patches would be. They are temporarily shifting their focus from one component of the distribution to another.

The fact of the matter is, there are only so many people paid to work on openSUSE. Spending more time in one area of openSUSE necessarily requires them spending less time on another area of openSUSE. There are things that need to be done in order to make openSUSE better. We can play semantic games all we want about whether they are still working on openSUSE or not. But at the end of the day, there is stuff that needs to get done, and this the only way it is going to happen.

Comment

After 6 month experience, OpenSuse is by far the crappiest distro I EVER used.
                      1. Installed it on notebook, installation okay, LUKS encryption was fine.
                      2. It already came extremely bloated, I used Gnome3 version, but it does not really matter.
                      3. Packages of 13.1 are ancient already, so picked Tumbleweed and migrated following official guide. Went okay.
                      4. Added MATE repo and tried to use MATE. After small fiddling it went okay. Had to install codecs and VLC, own versions are simply unusable.

5. Yesterday decided to clean the bloat a bit. After 6 hours spent, finally was able to remove duplicate or unneeded KDE and Gnome3 stuff (I don't need Okular or Evince, if I am okay with Mate PDF viewer and so on). Had to install lightdm, system did not notice that gdm was removed and offered just XDM..... Tuning lightdm to actually work just took 20 minutes and was acceptable.

6. Today this:
                      - needed to start gparted to check external volumes. Does not fire up. Output from terminal:
                      Code:
                       /usr/sbin/gpartedbin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libglibmm-2.4.so.1: undefined symbol: g_variant_parse_error_quark
                      - tried to start package manager yast (or in fact, anything yast non cli). Does not work. Output:
                      Code:
                      libgtk-3.so.0: undefined symbol: g_application_add_option_group
                      Googled every single possible case, reinstalled libgtkmm, libgdkmm and so on.
                      Funny enough, asking zypper to search for package returns a bunch of items, that when issued for installation are "not found". I.E. zypper easily mixes providers with real packages and has no distinction. Also, zypper ve/verify returned all okay. Zypper distro upgrade said all is fine.

Okay me thinks, that must be the guys from Tumbleweed having fun and decided to rollback to 13.1.
                      By the way asking about those cases on official Suse IRC, yast irc - brought nothing. over 300/80 people sitting without response.

So found the original package lists for 13.1, compared them to Tumbleweed, removed VLC repo(because it was tumbleweed based), changed MATE repo from Tumbleweed to 13.1 version and then fired zypper dup from init 3.
                      After 2 hour download and upgrade, the system booted up with all letters looking like squares.

That includes pre-boot LUKS password dialog and went all way through login manager and MATE. Apparently this is the definition of "nothing left to do" of zypper.
                      The only place with some letters were the ttys.

I decided that perhaps the kernel has some fonts that are carried over through initramfs and they are missing. So, init 3, and mkinitrd. After reboot, the boot screen was black and white, graphical boot was gone. I also noticed that I am carrying about 5 or 7 kernels....

Thank god I had Galaxy tab around, so I found out one more thing to try - "zypper dup --from repoID". I explicitly instructed zypper to upgrade to packages that are in repos of 13.1.... I haven't seen a worser package manager ever! Try finding out on internet how to downgrade Opensuse repo, or how to reinstall some package dependencies specific to some package... Nobody knows, that includes their IRC.

The "from" option did the trick, at least I have some letters now! Yay! I still have 8 kernels around, with Tumbleweed kernel not removed and I don't understand how to remove them from Yast, because all I am offered is a good hidden list of versions with crosses near them - and when I press such cross, it is always removing the newer kernel (not kernels, just one kernel) and tries to shift me to 3.7 era.

Also, yast is very badly structurized, completely unintuitive, with a configuration editor lying withing configuration editor (edit /etc/sysconfig)...!
                      Apparently the topmost advancement of them is to take all configuration into one file and place a GUI with bad navigation on top of it.

To sum up, the system comes bloated, is slow on dependency resolution, has very weird commands, is missing critical functionality, online documentation has a lot of blabla but very little on topic info, IRC guys are incompetent, management of versions of packages is near impossible, configuration tool is unintuitive (btw, this is first distro, where auto cleaning /tmp/ does NOT work), it fails to detect package breakages, it can't properly downgrade package tree - apparently no distinction between manually installed and pulled as dependency, I still can't figure out how to boot into different kernel - grub2 simply ignores keystrokes. This is a mess of a distro.

Comment

Working...
                      X