Thread: Intel Bay Trail Atom Support Comes To Coreboot

Default Intel Bay Trail Atom Support Comes To Coreboot

Phoronix: Intel Bay Trail Atom Support Comes To Coreboot

Intel's exciting "Bay Trail" Atom platform is now supported by Coreboot! This is great news since this Atom SoC is exciting for its use of in-house HD Graphics and also since this signals a Bay Trail Chromebook coming soon...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU4OTU

Finally something I can get interested in.

Hopefully the Bay Trail Chromebooks will have a proper HDD or a non-NGFF form factor storage drive so that I have replace it with bigger drives to install Linux or Windows on it. The latter is just so difficult to find and is expensive, especially when MyDigital appears to be the only maker of aftermarket 42mm NGFF M.2 SSDs.

Unless it's under $200 or has some other interesting system features what's the point? There is already a $200 Haswell Chromebook that has good performance and battery life. BayTrail running 64-bit Linux is barely better than an ARM A15 in terms of it's CPU performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    Finally something I can get interested in.

Hopefully the Bay Trail Chromebooks will have a proper HDD or a non-NGFF form factor storage drive so that I have replace it with bigger drives to install Linux or Windows on it. The latter is just so difficult to find and is expensive, especially when MyDigital appears to be the only maker of aftermarket 42mm NGFF M.2 SSDs.
    The Chromebook runs Coreboot, which is not BIOS and not UEFI.
    So I don't think you can run Windows on that.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroepoch View Post
    Unless it's under $200 or has some other interesting system features what's the point? There is already a $200 Haswell Chromebook that has good performance and battery life. BayTrail running 64-bit Linux is barely better than an ARM A15 in terms of it's CPU performance.
    x86_64 tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    The Chromebook runs Coreboot, which is not BIOS and not UEFI.
    So I don't think you can run Windows on that.
    Yes you can, you just use SeaBIOS or TianoCore as the payload.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroepoch View Post
    My guess is they may be running a tablet or convertible form-factor. In which case I'd like to get it and try to make in into a plasma-active + Mer tablet, or maybe an E19 +wayland. The intel GPU should be a lot easier to deal with than the powerVR/qualcom/tegra/mali/whatever crap is thrown into ARM15 as the GPU. And by feeling is that coreboot + flashrom is going to be easier to deal with than uboot + jtag.