Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: R600g Geometry Shaders Come For R600/R700

Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    Of course, but as Christian König stated, UVD for RS780/RS880/RV790 has currently a low priority, so if enough people complain about it possibly someone at AMD reconsiders and sets it to a higher priority.
    No, he said that "it didn't have a high priority". There's a lot of difference between "not high priority" and "low priority" -- most of what we do happens between those two extremes.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ry/051584.html

Almost everyone here is reacting not to what was actually said, but to other peoples misinterpretation of what was said. It's good for page hits, but not good for having an accurate picture of what is really happening.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    People from AMD reply to posts here all the time, so it's a safe bet we're reading the posts too
    Just reading (selectively sometimes) is not enough.

It's been in the pipe for a while as Christian said (along with a number of other goodies... some of which you have seen already and others you have not), but these things do take time.
    My concern is that AMD is going on an intentional not-so-old-hardware-ignoring-spree.

For example is there any guaranties that AMD will keep working on feature parity and OGL4 support for 5/6/7K series in up coming years like new R series? Is there any guaranties so we will not hear anymore "Our top technical engineers are busy with new Fart Islands" or "7000 series are totally different. LOL" from AMD?

If AMD gains my trust, be sure that I'll be the first one to retire the legacy 4890 for HTPC use and go for a cheap 7000 series or newer card. Personally I don't have any interest in creating a collection of legacy AMD products with halfa** drivers.

No, he said that "it didn't have a high priority". There's a lot of difference between "not high priority" and "low priority" -- most of what we do happens between those two extremes.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ry/051584.html

Almost everyone here is reacting not to what was actually said, but to other peoples misinterpretation of what was said. It's good for page hits, but not good for having an accurate picture of what is really happening.
    I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by siavashserver View Post
    Just reading (selectively sometimes) is not enough.
    It is when the question is whether anyone from AMD is reading the posts

My concern is that AMD is going on an intentional not-so-old-hardware-ignoring-spree.
    (scratches head) didn't we just finish releasing DPM support for hardware that was designed ~7 years ago (HD 3xxx / 42xx) ? I guess I don't understand what you would base those concerns on.

For example is there any guaranties that AMD will keep working on feature parity and OGL4 support for 5/6/7K series in up coming years like new R series? Is there any guaranties so we will not hear anymore "Our top technical engineers are busy with new Fart Islands" or "7000 series are totally different. LOL" from AMD?
    (scratches head again) Sorry, but nobody in the industry is going to give you a guarantee like that. Our top technical engineers *are* going to be working on (not actually Fart Islands but that'll do for now) and we will get some of their time to support open source releases. That allocation of time has been gradually increasing over the last 5 years and will probably continue to increase, but it will still be finite.

What I don't understand, I guess, is why everyone is so focused on this one thing when everything else we've released in the last 6+ years has required just as much effort as this. We have more resources on open source support than ever, and the pace of release is faster than ever, why run around saying the sky is falling now ?

Wink

Hmm... Apart from the minor contradiction that you posted this on an article about the availability of patches for new features on the R600g code branch...

...and that Geometry Shaders (ok, and the questionable-quality v1.0 UVD/OpenCL hardware) is one of the few remaining features of R600 not yet supported according to http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/

....and that this patch starts the last remaining big chunk of work before supporting OpenGL 3.3 (the highest version of OpenGL originally supported by the R600/R700 shipped) according to http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/GL3.txt

...and that this web site has repeatedly shown good performance from that driver.

...and the question as to why if you are so worried about having cutting edge graphics features, you aren't already upgrading your GFX card every five minutes, like most PC gamers seem to.

...I think I can see why you are concerned . At this stage, though, I'm far more worried that adding feature XXX that I don't need or use, use will break/degrade/change something that already works.

We have more resources on open source support than ever, and the pace of release is faster than ever, why run around saying the sky is falling now ?
    It's was answered in other topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Open source - where no good deed goes unpunished. (by the trolls)
    I'm really like work open source driver developers doing and it's actually great.
    Unfortunately few years ago situation with AMD drivers was much worse and people (and trolls) will blame you for that and you just have to live with it.

What I don't understand, I guess, is why everyone is so focused on this one thing when everything else we've released in the last 6+ years has required just as much effort as this. We have more resources on open source support than ever, and the pace of release is faster than ever, why run around saying the sky is falling now ?
    Linux just became a Steam gaming platform. The current posts are Shakespeare compared to the flaming that is going to happen when a driver drops 1.74 FPS on some random benchmark in future.

(scratches head) didn't we just finish releasing DPM support for hardware that was designed ~7 years ago (HD 3xxx / 42xx) ? I guess I don't understand what you would base those concerns on.
    Yes you did, and everybody in this forum appreciates that. But wasn't it a better decision to don't cut mainline fglrx support for those series before open source drivers reaching a usable state for daily work?

(scratches head again) Sorry, but nobody in the industry is going to give you a guarantee like that.
    *Grabs bridgman's hand quickly* I'm not going to support binary blobs here, but at least NVIDIA gave their customers a pretty decent support through their proprietary drivers. Rapid updates for newer xorg/kernel versions etc. But situation with AMD was opposite; New kernel/xorg server released, okay let's downgrade everything till the new driver gets released (if you are a lucky non-legacy card user of course)

Yes it's faster than before, but not fast enough yet. It would be great if AMD could hire more open source developers or magically memcpy Marek, Alex and other good developers a few more time.

Thanks again for all your efforts on open source drivers.

Yes you did, and everybody in this forum appreciates that. But wasn't it a better decision to don't cut mainline fglrx support for those series before open source drivers reaching a usable state for daily work?
    So wait, are you complaining about fglrx or the oss drivers? And do you think the same people are in charge of both?