Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R600g Geometry Shaders Come For R600/R700

Hybrid View

Default R600g Geometry Shaders Come For R600/R700

Phoronix: R600g Geometry Shaders Come For R600/R700

Yesterday I wrote about Geometry Shaders support proposed for the R600 Gallium3D driver, a major OpenGL 3.2 feature and is needed for getting the R600g driver up to par with RadeonSI and the other Mesa/Gallium3D drivers either at or nearing OpenGL 3.3 compliance. Some Phoronix readers expressed outrage that this initial GS support was limited to the Radeon HD 5000 series and newer, but now there's an early patch to provide geometry shaders to older AMD hardware...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU4ODQ

Don't have that hardware but happy to see support.

[Troll mode on]
    OMG noes! The R100 does not receive this love. Neither does the ATI Mach 64! Such a shame! AMD is not making customers happy.
    Now they will never reach OpenGL 3.3 compatibility! [/Troll mode off]

Oh, wait...

Really nice to see these patches. See, in the free driver world it is just a matter of time for some things to come. And sometimes it is just a few days. And sometimes the reason is just that upstream does not have that very hardware and doesn't want to write a blind update without the possibility to test. (Furthermore in these cases the documentation from AMD is there so everybody capable of driver hacking could write that code.
    Thanks AMD, thanks free driver team. I still have some of that hardware floating around (I guess I always have all sorts of old hardware around ) - but then, I am not sure if I really want my old HD3870 110W TDP (about 30 W idle?) passively cooled monster (Sapphire Ultimate) back in my main box.

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix
    also one Linux kernel patch. On the kernel side that likely won't emerge until Linux 3.15.
    The kernel support should go into 3.14, michael. The merge window is still open, and this could easily hit rc2 or rc3 without rejection i'd think.

Thank you very much David!

Does anybody knows, will there be support for geometry shaders on Sandy Bridge?

Default good question!

Quote Originally Posted by leonmaxx View Post
    i m waiting for it to

Quote Originally Posted by leonmaxx View Post
    Unless someone from the community implements it, likely not. Paul Berry, the Intel dev who worked on GS for Ivy and Haswell, is already working on other stuff.

Here's his message on what needs to be done to bring GS to Sandy: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/046150.html

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Some Phoronix readers expressed outrage...
    Lol. It was one guy. Tomorrow's headline:

"A considerable amount of Phoronix readers felt insulted by the lack of OpenGL 3.3 on the Mach64!"

To be fair, if you wanted to install Linux on your computer then you'd want your hardware working. As old as the HD 2000/3000/4000 are, they were sold for a long time. In fact on NewEgg the HD2000's and 3000's are still sold, between $50 to $120, which is insane. My laptop was sold with onboard graphics built into the northbridge chip as a HD4200, and that was 2011. It also came with a discrete HD 5470.

Just cause these chips were made in 2006/2007, doesn't mean that's when people bought them. AMD as well as Nvidia should do a better job of emptying their inventory on shelves, rather then confusing customers about support. For whatever reason I still see Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 on shelves. Maybe it's because they're stuck at $50 for a graphics card that wasn't worth a damn even when it was new.

But I don't blame the open source guys for not wanting to waste their time with old hardware, but truth is when people get into Linux they test it out on old hardware first. If you own a fairly new video card then AMD or Nvidia is going to make drivers for it, you'll most likely use those over open source. Anything that's deemed "Legacy" will get nothing, and therefore you're entirely reliant on open source.

I'd love the day that when I buy a Radeon Z9001, that the open source drivers are already working and capable of getting the most out of my hardware, but we all know that's not going to happen. You own a new graphics then you'll use whatever AMD or Nvidia gives you for drivers, cause they work better and faster in most cases. Just saying.