Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.14 Supports MIPS' Latest CPU Core

Phoronix: Linux 3.14 Supports MIPS' Latest CPU Core

The MIPS Linux pull request for the 3.14 kernel provides support for the MIPS interAptiv and proAptiv processor cores...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not very interesting, but I'm curious whether imagination will release some kind of GPU Compute optimized MIPS/PowerVR SoC at 16nm FinFET next year. Should be Imagination's first real "owned" MIPS core. The rest were just in the pipeline so far. A serious try at a MIPS core on the latest process node would be interesting to see.

And that's if Apple doesn't buy Imagination by then. CPUs and GPUs are going to become a lot more integrated in the future, to squeeze all that computer performance out of them, and make instructions flow easier from one to the other. So I don't think Apple will be able to just keep buying GPU parts from Imagination. Either they start building their own, which seems a lot harder to do, or they buy Imagination, for which they probably don't even need to pay more than $1 billion.

If they do buy them, I hope they least put MIPS back into the market, rather than kill it, since they have no need for it themselves. Imagination probably has the best shot (even if it's not a huge one) at resurrecting MIPS. So it will probably die anyway if they don't keep building MIPS cores.

Comment

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
      Not very interesting, but I'm curious whether imagination will release some kind of GPU Compute optimized MIPS/PowerVR SoC at 16nm FinFET next year. Should be Imagination's first real "owned" MIPS core. The rest were just in the pipeline so far. A serious try at a MIPS core on the latest process node would be interesting to see.

And that's if Apple doesn't buy Imagination by then. CPUs and GPUs are going to become a lot more integrated in the future, to squeeze all that computer performance out of them, and make instructions flow easier from one to the other. So I don't think Apple will be able to just keep buying GPU parts from Imagination. Either they start building their own, which seems a lot harder to do, or they buy Imagination, for which they probably don't even need to pay more than $1 billion.

If they do buy them, I hope they least put MIPS back into the market, rather than kill it, since they have no need for it themselves. Imagination probably has the best shot (even if it's not a huge one) at resurrecting MIPS. So it will probably die anyway if they don't keep building MIPS cores.
      Aren't there at least two chinese componies playing around with MIPS? Longsoon, and something else?

From what I could tell the last gen was very power efficient and there was some interest in porting android to these SOC for low-end phones.

Comment

The only MIPS device I have is my TV and compiling kernel modules for it is not always fun.

Comment

i liked mips potential but imagination's purchase killt it for me. Now I actively want it to fail since there will never be support for doing mobile/desktop os type development on anything they produce ever. I'm starting to get the same feeling for the whole ARM platform in general, although maybe, maybe AMD can rescue it.

Comment

Working...
          X