Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moonlight: Yet Another Linux Desktop Environment

Phoronix: Moonlight: Yet Another Linux Desktop Environment

Not to be confused with Mono's former Moonlight open-source project re-implementation of Microsoft's Silverlight, the Moonlight Desktop Environment is trying to be the desktop environment for low-end devices like the Raspberry Pi...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They can not contribute to make lxde better?
    It is EXACTLY the same goals

Comment

likely will fade away like the many other third-party desktop environments with limited manpower and scope
      Way to report news.

Comment

If there's one thing Linux needs, it's more DEs.

Originally posted by raineee View Post
        Way to report news.
        This is precisely the way to report such news. I'm actually pro-fragmentation now seeing how fast Gnome went all the way from awesome to trash and what systemd is doing to the userland. But it's getting just plain ridiculous with a new DE wannabe being announced every week or so.
        Last edited by prodigy_; 31 January 2014, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Dwm

Comment

Originally posted by raineee View Post
            Way to report news.
            Precisely what I was thinking, too.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
              This is precisely the way to report such news.
              No, that is opinion, not news. If he wants to report the news, he could quote someone expressing that opinion. But outside of an editorial, reporters do not make such statements themselves.

Comment

Yes, I also was not so happy about this sentence. It is possible it will fade but you don't have to condemn a project to die right from the first time it sees the light.

On one hand it is sad to have too much fragmentation. Choice is good, but sometimes 5 choices are really good enough. Maybe it is sometimes better to join an existing project and help improving it. But generally low weight DEs seem like a good idea. Meant for low performance devices... yeah. But imagine installing this on a fast computer. Things would start to fly and you would be bottleneck in workflow.
                At work we actually have some computers running Vista (*cough*) on machines with 1 GB RAM (*argh*). I imagine nearly daily how I would install Gentoo there and suddenly you could work with that machine, even with a full featured Gnome or KDE.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                  Yes, I also was not so happy about this sentence. It is possible it will fade but you don't have to condemn a project to die right from the first time it sees the light.
                  I don't have a problem with the statement itself -- it is likely correct. My issue was just the claim that Michael was reporting the news. He was not. He was expressing his opinion. Which is fine in a blog or an editorial, but if he wants to be recognized as reporting the news, he needs to keep his opinion out of the news articles.

Comment

The overall level of fragmentation seen in today linux desktops (not specifically referring to Desktop environments) is bad in my opinion.
                    There are too many bugs; your experience varies widely depending on which system configuration, distro, desktop environment and drivers you use. For example, Dota 2 simply does not work (crashes, freezing, failed launches) on my particular acer laptop (propietary nvidia + primusrun) running ubuntu 13.10. If it was a common bug faced by many people, it would have been fixed faster. But it seems specific to my particular configuration. This is why unix hackers have been leaving linux for mac in hoardes. Macs cost more and are less flexible. But all your applications work; Your are guaranteed a certain level of performance and battery life.

Yes there is innovation and experimentation in linux desktops which is good; but at the end of the day, people just one a system that just works and allows them to do their work or gaming. People don't want to spend all their time on google or AskUbuntu or IRC just to get their system in a working condition. Android is linux done right. Ubuntu was. (until about 10.10) The linux desktop has seriously regressed since those days. Windows 8 is a fiasco, sure. But even still Windows systems just work with only minor annoyances.

This is especially important when linux is trying to attract game developers and gamers to their environment. Support and bug fixes are very costly. And there are going to be many, if developers have to worry about whether you are running nouveau or amd or pulse audio or Unity or KDE or whatever. </rant>

Comment

Working...
                    X