Moonlight: Yet Another Linux Desktop Environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nedR View Post
    And Ubuntu's "default configuration" for nvidia hybrid graphics is to turn my laptop in to a bread toaster.
    Well, blame Ubuntu, then. It's not the only desktop distribution out there.

Comment

Originally posted by litfan View Post
      Ummm. Daily. Not that it matters. To any end user a kernel panic or their DE crashing down around them has the same end result in lost work and time. No one gives a flying fuck if the kernel is stable if the rest of the OS is such a steaming pile of shit that it isn't usable i.e. GNOME/KDE.
      My Xfce-based systems work fine? If you know that Gnome and KDE crash a lot, then don?t use them.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
        My Xfce-based systems work fine? If you know that Gnome and KDE crash a lot, then don?t use them.
        GNOME does not crash a lot. It must be a driver problem on his side. Even if it crashes it restarts itself just fine and fast.

Personally I love the design of GNOME. There are extensions to provide fast switching between the apps but the WIN key app overview works just fine and fast for me.

IMO mostly people who claim Gnome is a bad design either have 15" monitors and the paddings that make my eyes comfortable fills their screen fully or are just too old to get used to changes.

Compared to the GNOME application menu, old tree-like start menu is a joke and usability disaster. I'd rather just hit the Super key and type first two letters of a program instead of going 3 levels into some stupid tree menu.

Comment

Lets bring this back here so people remember there is life beyond the major DEs:

Oh, thats memory usage, btw

Comment

Originally posted by litfan View Post
            Ummm. Daily. Not that it matters. To any end user a kernel panic or their DE crashing down around them has the same end result in lost work and time. No one gives a flying fuck if the kernel is stable if the rest of the OS is such a steaming pile of shit that it isn't usable i.e. GNOME/KDE.
            If you're seeing daily kernel panics, you're doing something horribly wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
              Lets bring this back here so people remember there is life beyond the major DEs:
              Oh, thats memory usage, btw
              Razor-qt so high? Impossible!

Comment

Originally posted by the303 View Post
                IMO mostly people who claim Gnome is a bad design either have 15" monitors and the paddings that make my eyes comfortable fills their screen fully or are just too old to get used to changes.
                Or they just think it is bad design. You know, if someone does not like what you like that doesn't mean he must be wrong.

Compared to the GNOME application menu, old tree-like start menu is a joke and usability disaster. I'd rather just hit the Super key and type first two letters of a program instead of going 3 levels into some stupid tree menu.
                I do that for years already, but I neither use a "stupid tree menu" nor Gnome. It is called dmenu and exists for quite some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                  Or they just think it is bad design. You know, if someone does not like what you like that doesn't mean he must be wrong.

I do that for years already, but I neither use a "stupid tree menu" nor Gnome. It is called dmenu and exists for quite some time.
                  Most people I have seen that say GNOME is bad either accuse the big paddings or the new activities overview. They don't have to like (I did not even use the "like" word there? I said "bad design".) what I like but if their reasons are not real reasons and they shout those reasons as "design problem/flaw" all over the web and beat the life out of GNOME saying they should revert it to old GNOME, then it is a problem because it will point people to another options without a "correct" reason and also give people wrong opinions.

And? What happens if there is something called "dmenu"? What is your point exactly? I didn't say GNOME invented it or anything. Are you a troll or are you saying that you were using it "before it was cool"?

Stop trying to be unnecessarily philosophical and clever please, genius boy. Read with your eyes and don't replace my words where you see it appropriate.
                  Last edited by the303; 31 January 2014, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                    Razor-qt so high? Impossible!
                    Yeah, and Xfce is higher than Mate (almost twice as much). That "graph" is just a bunch of random numbers. On the other hand it reminds me that there is no life beyond the major DEs.
                    Last edited by prodigy_; 01 February 2014, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by the303 View Post
                      Most people I have seen that say GNOME is bad either accuse the big paddings or the new activities overview
                      What you actually have said is "Oh, they must have 15" monitors, but on my large monitor the large paddings are fine." Guess what, Netbooks and <=15" laptops are still around in large masses, 15" isn't something from the past and if the large paddings actually take up half of your screen that is bad design. Even on larger monitors I consider that to be bad design. People buy large monitors to have more screen space for their actual work, not to waste that space with large paddings and icons.

And? What happens if there is something called "dmenu"? What is your point exactly? I didn't say GNOME invented it or anything. Are you a troll or are you saying that you were using it "before it was cool"?
                      No, I am saying that your argument is nonsense. Your argument in favor of Gnome (rather press the super-key and and the first letters of the program you want to start) can simply (and does for years) to any other DE/WM. Damn it, you could even take KDE, remove the K-menu and install dmenu (or any other decent application launcher), then move the panel to the top and those arguments you made are irrelevant.

Stop trying to be unnecessarily philosophical and clever please, genius boy. Read with your eyes and don't replace my words where you see it appropriate.
                      Maybe if you stop the ad hominem and come up with some real arguments someone starts to take you serious.

Comment

Working...
                      X